pros and cons of net wrap ?

/ pros and cons of net wrap ? #42  
Does your area landfill accept the old net wrap for recycle? I collect and recycle my twine - yep... I used to burn it; but, man, those fumes! Nasty. I've been lookin' more and more at a round baler - with net wrap.

Only question for me is whether to go for a silage special machine. Lot's more folk's are going to haylage up here. It's a hay-saver when the rain is closing in and your windrows are still 30%. Biggest problem is feed waste when feeding during warmer temps. If it sits out for too long a time before the cows, horses, etc. get everything cleaned up it'll get moldy.

AKfish

/ pros and cons of net wrap ? #43  
The netting just has to go in the trash. The twine is used for many other things around here, so doesn't make it to the trash, until it is close to disintegrated anyway.

/ pros and cons of net wrap ? #44  
I don't have a problem with my cows trying to knock me down or run over me,, they are trained to stand and watch as I put the hay out.. When I am finish unwrapping the bales,, I say come and get it girls and open the gate.:laughing:. Lou

/ pros and cons of net wrap ? #45  
I don't have a problem with my cows trying to knock me down or run over me,, they are trained to stand and watch as I put the hay out.. When I am finish unwrapping the bales,, I say come and get it girls and open the gate.:laughing:. Lou

Good, maybe I should haul mine down to overwinter on your place! No way to fence them off of my work area, unless I want to run them through the horse pasture, to a small pen, then go back the other way, once hay is down. And once I start up the tractor in winter, they are looking for it anyway. Not bad animals, just like to get to the new bale.

When are we going to have that cold beer, bar-b-q, and music fest, Lou? :D

/ pros and cons of net wrap ? #46  
lol.. come on down farmgirl,, but more into boiling things this time of year.. craps, shrimp, crawfish, potato, corn, sausage,, it summer time and the living is easy.. but I guess I could smoke you up a steak or two.. would you like fry with that.:). Lou

/ pros and cons of net wrap ? #47  
No need for special stuff, Lou, as whatever you're cookin' is fine. I like all of the boiled goods too! For the cold beer and music, I'd settle for a peanut butter sandwich! Now to try to get time off from work for a "Road Trip". My boss is real tyrant, when she wants to be. :D

/ pros and cons of net wrap ? #48  
Does your area landfill accept the old net wrap for recycle? I collect and recycle my twine - yep... I used to burn it; but, man, those fumes! Nasty. I've been lookin' more and more at a round baler - with net wrap.

Only question for me is whether to go for a silage special machine. Lot's more folk's are going to haylage up here. It's a hay-saver when the rain is closing in and your windrows are still 30%. Biggest problem is feed waste when feeding during warmer temps. If it sits out for too long a time before the cows, horses, etc. get everything cleaned up it'll get moldy.

AKfish

I thought haylage must be baled and wrapped at about 65% moisture not 30%?

/ pros and cons of net wrap ? #49  

AKfish

/ pros and cons of net wrap ? #50  
There is a wide range you can make haylage at. Usually with windrows reading at 30% with a meter once baled they will read much higher as the stem moisture will be released. I've heard with good wrapping you can make haylage at actual 30% or even less say 25%. Some market it as "sweet" hay.