12' haybine Case 8350 PTO HP requirement

/ 12' haybine Case 8350 PTO HP requirement #1  

RedNeckRacin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E MFWD, Kubota L3400 HST
So im pretty familiar with the New Holland haybines of the 9 or 10 foot variety and have spent many hours in the seat of a international 884 mowing with them; but I found a good deal on a case 8350 12' haybine and I was wondering what kind of pto hp is required to run it? Is 5hp per foot a reasonable assumption? I'm assuming that the actual weight of the tractor plays more of a role than the hp does? Its a side pivot if that helps any. Planning on using the "E" to be doing the work. Any thoughts?

/ 12' haybine Case 8350 PTO HP requirement #2  
Appears the 8350 was made as both a side pull model and a center pivot model.

Here is a link for an independent lab evaluation report on a Hesston 1150 moco (12' sickle cut with conditioning rollers). Actually I believe your Case 8350 may be a Hesston 1150 with different badges and color. Hesston actually invented the center pivot moco and many other manufacturers had Hesston build it for them (or copied it and made their own).

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/eng3057/$FILE/535.pdf

Long story short, the Hesston 1150 never pulled more than 39 PTO hp max regardless of crop type in this evaluation series (and they tested many crop types) and usually was more in the 30 hp PTO average load range. The testers felt almost any 60 hp would handle the unit. I am assuming it takes 10-15 hp to pull the unit around and rest would be unneeded reserve hp.

Read the report as lots of good info in there and the report is laid out such that it is easy reading.

Last edited:
   / 12' haybine Case 8350 PTO HP requirement
Any opinion on a New Idea 5512 Center pivot VS a case 8350 side pivot? Both are 12 footers. The new idea appears to be run off a hydraulic pump on the pto and the case is a shaft driven. I have read somewhere that the center pivots pull pretty hard sideways due to their configuration.

/ 12' haybine Case 8350 PTO HP requirement #4  
we use 12ft NH haybines and i find less than 65 PTO hp can struggle in a good crop .

/ 12' haybine Case 8350 PTO HP requirement
D7E, thats interesting, i think im in pretty good shape that way, deere lists my machine at 69 :thumbsup: