Center Pivot Hydraulic Motor Vs. Side Pull Pto Shaft for a haybine?

/ Center Pivot Hydraulic Motor Vs. Side Pull Pto Shaft for a haybine? #1  

RedNeckRacin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E MFWD, Kubota L3400 HST
Any thoughts on the pro's and con's of a center pivot hydraulic motor driven 12' haybine vs a side pull pto shaft driven 12' haybine? I have only ever used a New Holland side pull 9' shaft driven machine. It was very trouble free and did a very nice job for us. I know a discbine would be better but price is the main issue at the moment. From what I have gathered the center pivot is very handy for very large fields but the side pull seems to pull easier? Tractors doing the work will be either a 4020 or my 5083E. Going to look at the side pull tonight.

/ Center Pivot Hydraulic Motor Vs. Side Pull Pto Shaft for a haybine? #2  
We have a side pull NH 9' sickle mo-co, the guy who mows next door has a center pivot disc mo-co (IIRC, his is a Hesston).
What I like about his is that it lifts enough to clear the windrows and he can angle it to pull on either side to work around the field easier (especially useful on the final passes and when there is junk in the field) and it has hydraulic swing.

Aaron Z

/ Center Pivot Hydraulic Motor Vs. Side Pull Pto Shaft for a haybine?
Does it seem to pull harder than yours? (side to side) I have heard that to get them to work properly they put alot of lateral force on the tractor? Any issues with the hydraulic drive?

/ Center Pivot Hydraulic Motor Vs. Side Pull Pto Shaft for a haybine? #4  
I dont know. I talked to him a couple of times and he likes it, but didn't talk to him about how it pulls. He has a larger (70+HP) farm tractor and while heavy grass can make it work, it doesn't seem to have any issues pulling it.
Our 9' NH pulls very well behind the L3830.

Aaron Z

/ Center Pivot Hydraulic Motor Vs. Side Pull Pto Shaft for a haybine?
how has the hydraulic drive stood up? Any major issues with it?

/ Center Pivot Hydraulic Motor Vs. Side Pull Pto Shaft for a haybine? #6  
No idea. I have seen him use it for 5 years now. No idea how old it is, but he had nothing but good to say about it when I talked to him.

Aaron Z