Drought here in Montana a killer

/ Drought here in Montana a killer #1  

rancher1974

Tractor
Case MXM155/Case Farmall 75C/WD1203/RB564 Specialty/Agco 7433/JD 328D/New Holland 1068 Milstak/International 560/International 4000/hesston 4655/Ford 6600/Vermeer R2800
The lack of moisture here in Montana is going to be a killer again this year
What is the hay market going to be in your guys neck of the woods

/ Drought here in Montana a killer #2  
Here in southeast Mo everything is looking good right now. Seems to be a little better then last year. Rounds were going for as high as $100.00 for a short time last year, but that didn't last long. I would say it rounded out at about $50.00 for hole year.

/ Drought here in Montana a killer #3  
Here in southeast Michigan, it has been cold. Hay has been stunted by late frost. So hay crop will be less for first cutting. Small sq are around $6-8 and rounds $45-60. Looks like hay shortage again!

/ Drought here in Montana a killer #4  
Things are looking good here so far too. 4 X 4 round bales of decent second cutting sold at community auctions last year for $140.00. Squares advertised last year for $5.00 and up. Price is dropping now, since they are cleaning out the barns for new crop. Rounds for $30-$35, and squares for $4.00.

Thank goodness for the one hurricane that spread it's rain our way late last summer. It made the difference of me having enough to squeak by this spring, and having to buy. I normally have 6-8 rounds left, and never complain about that..!!

/ Drought here in Montana a killer
we are looking at $200 a ton for hay here again

/ Drought here in Montana a killer #6  
Around $175 a ton here.

/ Drought here in Montana a killer #7  
The lack of moisture here in Montana is going to be a killer again this year
What is the hay market going to be in your guys neck of the woods

Since last Oct the rainfall here in the North Sacramento Valley has amounted to about 15 inches--same as last year. The alfalfa is irrigated. Dry land hay is planted in Oct and baled in late April. My neighbors baled oat hay two weeks ago and got decent yield. They sold out in a few days so the demand is there. Don't know the price.

/ Drought here in Montana a killer #8  
here in ramona i got about 1/3 the yield as last year. some guys just disked it under rain stopped at the wrong time,

/ Drought here in Montana a killer #9  
Snowing up here as I write this... sticking, too! :mad: Very cold, drawn out Spring. At this rate; I won't be able to put fertilizer out until the 1st week of June! Small squares are around $10 right now. If this wet, cold weather stays with us (last season was very wet) small hay bales will likely go up as dry hay will be at a premium. Big rounds (timothy, brome is a little cheaper) have dropped a bit to around $135-$145/bale. Some clear-out's getting ready for the new crop.

Timothy hayledge was $150 this past winter. Those prices might go down with a wet season; 'cause many folks will have to put their big bales into plastic to have any forage at all - and, there'll be a lot of it around as a result.

AKfish

/ Drought here in Montana a killer #10  
Down here in Tassie a round of hay was going for A$40, now that winter is almost here a good round for horses (clover, Lucerne,hay mix) is A$55 locally.

A fair amount of 'extra' hay for sale is somewhat rare this year due to a huge bush fire down south. Those of us who could, donated any excess to help out the graziers. Fencing, food, clothing... heck, today there was a big wood-chop where over 800 tonnes of firewood was split & delivered to those who lost most of what they had (including their wood sheds).

We're getting good late Autumn/early Winter rains right now so hopefully it'll be a good growing season.