NH 269 Knotter issues

/ NH 269 Knotter issues #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I'm just not getting the knots to scrape off the bill hook consistently and most of the time no knots and all.I roll the flywheel by hand a little at a time and then go take a look. When I pull the holding bolt and roll the knotter frame back and roll the gears and bill hook and knife arm thru the cycle when rolling to back (where I can see) position. The scraper rubs lightly on the back of the bill hook. Any tricks or suggestions. Maybe like the bill hook has to start coming into contact with bill hook sooner? I've had some terrible knot messes on the bill hook. I watch the New Holland knotter video and theirs sure works smooth. I have all the hay removed from the chamber and the No. 1 string hangs down instead of to the rear of the baler. I don't know how to duplicate that string going around the bale with out hay in the chamber? What's the real world trouble shooting methods you guys use? I'm going on week 3 trying to make these knotters tie. I've adjusted twine fingers and all the spring/twine plate tension adjustments bill hook cam spring. Help. bjr

/ NH 269 Knotter issues #2  
For trouble shooting without hay in the chamber, I got someone to stand at the back of the baler and pull on the two No.1 twines to simulate bale tension. The best way to actually see whats happening during a knotter cycle I found, was to use the video on my smart phone(if you have one). Prop it up in the knotter frame so it has a good view of the bill hooks, start the video filming then cycle the baler.

/ NH 269 Knotter issues #3  
I just stumbled across this thread and hopefully you have the problem resolved by now. I have a NH 271 and battled knot removal from the bill hook a few years back. I kept changing adjustment of the knife arm that sweeps the knot from the bill hook. Finally discovered that the brass ball that actuates the knife arm as it rides against the cam gear was worn and out of round. Testing manually I could not really see anything but full speed under load the irregularities in the brass ball prevented clean knot removal. Replaced the brass ball and no more problems. I only run sisal twine and have no issues.

/ NH 269 Knotter issues
This next cutting (next weekend) I'll see if all my adjustments modifications will work. I tightened down of the "rub" to "firmly" instead of "lightly" and also finally switched to Poly twin. I had only a few bales left when I made all my changes, so, I don't know if my efforts will prove out or not. I'll update as soon as I've tested in actual baling conditions. bjr

/ NH 269 Knotter issues #5  
I have a jd 14t the wiper rubs the billhook hard and it still misses on that knotter it will get two or more strings stuck on it have to pry bill hook open to clear it . mis 1 bale 5 mis 5 bale 20 mis3 and so on all day wish I new a fix

/ NH 269 Knotter issues
I'm not too up on JD's but, one of my billhook rollers had worn the knotter frame cam area. I just built up with the welder and ground/polished with small angle grinder (the NH operations manual suggestion). The jaws on billhook stayed open a little longer with the new cam area. Are your knife blades sharp? Look at bh roller and bh jaws, it's got to have some issues in there somewhere. The NH's have a clip/guide that guide the BH roller and that guide has a spring that can be adjusted. bjr

/ NH 269 Knotter issues #7  
One of the first things I did when I bought my beat up 268 hay liner was to get the NH knotter service manual. I have posted that here in PDF form if you search under my ID. I went thru mine end to end in just a few sessions. That was a good tune up. Sharpen your knives too! They should slice thru like a scalpel wanting to get to a tee time. :rolleyes: But I love these contraptions!

/ NH 269 Knotter issues #8  
Hey CK,

Where did you get your brass rollers? I would like to pick up two as well. Will try messicks first. Last time I tried they were out....

/ NH 269 Knotter issues #9  
went to sharpen twine knives had one of one kind one of another will that matter

/ NH 269 Knotter issues
Update: Just got done with the third cutting of the year. I had replaced a knotter frame and kinda had to start all over with adjustments. Beside shearing flywheel bolts one right after the other. Another major malfunction was the mounting bolts on the chain drive side (left side of baler) that hold the knotters to the baler where egg shaped and when knotters tied the whole assembly would twist and the chain would have slack in it and the knotter trip lever then would not drop down to reset, causing Major issues. I went back to the shop loosened the knotter side plate bolts and put a com-a-long on the chain side of the shaft and pulled to the rear of the baler, then while the tension had the chain tight I drilled out left side hole to 1/2" put in 1/2" bolts and that fixed that issue. Adjusted the needle cage arm length again, also had to adjust the lock-out lever for the lock block on the ram arm and replaced the shear bolt sleeve in the flywheel which seem to cure the shear bolt issue. Now if I can just get a tight bale. I'm still trying to get a handle on the Hydroformatic setting and then getting the twine plate tensioner setting to be compatible, bales so far have been loose. Sorry for the long post. bjr