2013 Hay Season

/ 2013 Hay Season #51  
Where in the Dakota's ?? My wife has folks in Sioux fall SD .. I read that record numbers of replacement heifers are being held back .. Future will tell the story. Hay prices simply confuse me ... When there is none they sore to extreme highs ... Then this yr as wet as this given area is an ample supply for those that have been able to get into the field it's cheap .. I saw an ad the other day on CL ... 4x6 net wrapped Bermuda with 500 lbs to the acre of fertilize good clean hay that was sprayed $30 a roll ... Give me a break if anyone really believes that you can spray and apply FIVE HUNDRED # to the acre and then sell for 30 bucks .. I may be way off base .. Just doesn't figure out for me .. I may need someone to explain that too me.

Cousin's are cow/calf operators in the Iona, SD area (north of Gregory and south of Reliance). My Dad lives in Reliance. I'd be all over that $30 round bale... if it wasn't a CL scam! Might be one of those deals that "if it sounds too good to be true - it likely ain't true"! Sure don't appear to pencil-out very well...

AKfish

/ 2013 Hay Season #52  
Replacement heifers are high here too! I used to do cow/calf, but when the drought began a few years ago, I sold them all off. Last year, bought some calves and raised. Sold all but one last month. I hope he will go into the freezer this winter.

I fear hay prices, this year. I gave $7.00/sq. bale, in the pasture, last summer. Luckily, I had good pastures through most of last winter, so still have some nice square bales in my barn. Might not be as good as having "fresh" hay, but been protected and was really nice, when stacked in there. I should know in the next day or two, if the pasture behind the horse pasture is worth baling into round bales. The grass looks good, and is relatively weed free, so no spraying needed. I'd love to add a few round bales to my supplies, for the horses. One never knows how long the drought will linger, or what the prices will do, because of operating costs.

I guess I am the odd horse owner. As long as the hay is clean, not all weeds, and not moldy, etc., I figure my horses can eat it. If they can pick around the weeds in the pasture, they can pick around a few in a round bale! I'd rather they do that, than go hungry, because there was no hay!

Horses have been around for more than a few years... I think that they've eaten some poor quality grass and even weeds when the situation demands it! I've seen what those wild horses are eatin' in the dead of winter in Wyoming! Pretty slim pickin's!!

We don't feed our horses bad, nasty moldy hay, either. But, they don't live like those horses in an air-conditioned barn in Kentucky, either!

AKfish

/ 2013 Hay Season #53  
Dropped 18 acres of alfalfa last Monday evening. Forecast called for rain Wed through this coming Tues. I rolled the dice, kept it rain free and rolled 42 5x6 bales on the 18 acres on Thursday evening. It stormed Friday night and early today. Talk about getting lucky. BTW, that same field yielded 18 bales first cutting last year. What a difference a year and good rain makes!

/ 2013 Hay Season #54  
Dropped 18 acres of alfalfa last Monday evening. Forecast called for rain Wed through this coming Tues. I rolled the dice, kept it rain free and rolled 42 5x6 bales on the 18 acres on Thursday evening. It stormed Friday night and early today. Talk about getting lucky. BTW, that same field yielded 18 bales first cutting last year. What a difference a year and good rain makes!

Yee Haa! That's somethin' for sure! :thumbsup: Still no rain up here... I'm lookin' at Calgary and southern Alberta with all that flooding and folk's in the Dakota's with very good moisture -- the Jet Stream must have shifted about 1,800 miles south!!! :eek:

AKfish

/ 2013 Hay Season

Hey that's great. Around here the weatherman says 80%,still cut it don't happen its them 10%ers that have got me:laughing:

/ 2013 Hay Season
While out checking wells come across this IMG-20130622-00376.jpg,said rake tractor some how started it,the volunteer firer department saved the pasture and tractor,hats off to them guys and gals. Out of 20acres only burned maybe 5

/ 2013 Hay Season #57  
Got ~200 small squares from what we laid down on Thu. Looking like it will rain this afternoon.

Aaron Z

/ 2013 Hay Season #58  
While out checking wells come across thisView attachment 324103,said rake tractor some how started it,the volunteer firer department saved the pasture and tractor,hats off to them guys and gals. Out of 20acres only burned maybe 5

Very, very impressive fire response! Those folk's are to be commended for a job well done. :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ 2013 Hay Season
Very, very impressive fire response! Those folk's are to be commended for a job well done. :thumbsup:

AKfish

Yeah wasnt to far from town they had grass truck and tanker and neighboring town say 10miles sent another grass truck,the grass still had some green luckly and had two windrows already up and the fire was on the windrow and wind blowing it away from the layed down hay. Still great response,situations could have really been bad if wasnt green still around here and wind direction. House and church just outside photo on right the way smoke is blowing. Hats off to the local VFD's...

/ 2013 Hay Season #60  
Looks like we're gonna have a great season for producing hay. Maybe the best in several years. I just wish that I could sell it. ;)
I have about 55 acres of hay meadow. However, I have limited barn space and it's almost full. So I'm only fertilizing and cutting one 12 acre patch. Rolled 37 bales (4x5) last weekend. I had cut it and fertilized 3 weeks earlier.
Sold 15 rolls today, so that made a little room in the barn.