Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Default Re: Starting costum hay making business

I don't know what you plan to offer the other custom guy that would make him want to open up his customer base to a potential competitor. If he already has the equipment, the employees and the clients then what would he gain from taking you on as a partner other than the risk of you learning his customers and trying to steal them (not that you would).

If you are looking to do this I would look at advertising and trying to gain some customers. Stay small the first few years as going big too quick and not being able to take care of your customers hay when they need it done will only ruin your reputation and business. Also, if possible look into baling hay to sell on your own. It will open you up to different customers and some of them may have fields of their own (usually smaller fields) and you could gain additional work that way. Just go slow and don't take on more then you can handle.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5203, John Deere 5083e

Default Re: Starting costum hay making business

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_NY View Post
    I don't know what you plan to offer the other custom guy that would make him want to open up his customer base to a potential competitor. If he already has the equipment, the employees and the clients then what would he gain from taking you on as a partner other than the risk of you learning his customers and trying to steal them (not that you would).

If you are looking to do this I would look at advertising and trying to gain some customers. Stay small the first few years as going big too quick and not being able to take care of your customers hay when they need it done will only ruin your reputation and business. Also, if possible look into baling hay to sell on your own. It will open you up to different customers and some of them may have fields of their own (usually smaller fields) and you could gain additional work that way. Just go slow and don't take on more then you can handle.

I don't plan on going big quickly, and I think he is just by himself, I know his mother she said I should ask him for work because he could use the extra help as I was fed up with where I work at because everything was breaking down, what happens when you go cheap, it runs you up in the long run.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12