Cut hay today and got soaking wet

/ Cut hay today and got soaking wet #1  

PMA

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 5325, CI Farmall 85U, Mccormick International 404
The weatherman said 10% chance of rain so I decided to cut hay this afternoon. Cut about 12 acres and the bottom fell out with lightning and wind. And to make it worse, I was cutting with the open John Deere because it was such a pretty day. Thought I was going to freeze to death before I went to my buddies tractor shed. I reckon I am complaining about the weather man. Y'all have a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Cut hay today and got soaking wet #2  
At least it rained on fresh cut hay. With teddering it might be salvageable unless it is horse hay. We have raked our share into the woods after getting rained on. I'm sorry that the odds came up against you.

/ Cut hay today and got soaking wet #3  
We haven't had any weather for hay. I don't know of anyone locally that has put up any yet. It has rained every couple of days for probably three weeks now.

It could have been worse, you could of had it in windrows when the rain hit.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you.

/ Cut hay today and got soaking wet
Yea I know but the chance of rain all week was like 40% to 50% and we did not get a drop. This afternoon was like no chance. Just bad luck. I reckon bad luck is better than no luck. Lol

/ Cut hay today and got soaking wet #5  
Like Ted said rained on fresh hay isn't nearly as bad as hay that's been mowed for a few days, at least that's what my late FIL used to say.

Last week was the only window so far this year for haying in NC. They rolled 288 4x4' round bales. 48 bales are still outside and have had over an inch of rain on them.

/ Cut hay today and got soaking wet #6  
My son has to roast a whole hog in a pit on Saturday. If it rains, there'll be a hog floating around with some ashes.

I think the rain is gone for awhile, according to weatherman. Good luck on cooking the hog.

/ Cut hay today and got soaking wet #8  
Rain on fresh cut hay won't even affect the color of the hay as long as it doesn't continue to rain.

/ Cut hay today and got soaking wet #9  
I hope same doesnt happen to me. I cut and baled up 35bales and they was calling for up to 80%chance rain,made it threw no rain. So I cut another 15ac. yesterday and we had 10%,well now have bumped it up to 30%.

Well I cut another 17 acres today and no rain. Thank goodness. Other than the Mississippi kites dive bombing me, it was a good day. Also a small fawn jumped up just in time to miss the blades. I swear you can't see them in the grass.