deere 336 square baler

/ deere 336 square baler #1  

Rivendale

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
I picked up a dandy of a 336 baler today. I went through and cleaned everything and I was wondering about the gearbox on these things. I assume it has a fill cap somewhere up high and an overfill cap somewhere lower. Can these be accessed pretty easy?

I wanted to ask here before I went and took off sheet metal unnecessarily.

I need to get my hands on an owners manual for this baler.

Thanks

/ deere 336 square baler #2  
Pipe plug(parts key #32) accessible behind flywheel.

Attachments

• EP7502_________UN29AUG94.gif
    EP7502_________UN29AUG94.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,468
   / deere 336 square baler
so #32 is my fill and overfill. I'm guessing I will have to remove the flywheel to check and fill

/ deere 336 square baler #4  
I think you can remove breather(parts key #29) to fill and #32 to check oil level without removing FW.

/ deere 336 square baler #5  
Had a 336 many yrs ago so I have some insights based on my baler.

If you ever try to check/adj the timing on the needles, the info in the manual is incorrect. Right after adjing the first time I started breaking needles left and right. Finally spoke with JD mechanic and first this he said was, did you adj by using info in the manual. He then gave me the correct timing info and no more broken needles.

I used my baler pretty hard and would go through 1 or 2 bearings a season on the big end of the plunger. JD had a special bearing made for them and only available from them, Looking through a bearing cat I found out the only thing custom about it was the ID. Found same series bearing with a slightly larger ID. I made a sleeve and used it with a std bearing from any supplier. My bearing costs went down considerably.

Tongue Jack use during the early yrs of production was a killer and I mean literally. If your baler has one of these, replace with a std tongue jack, one that uses a screw to raise and lower. Had the jack handle come flying off and just missed my head. Don't take a chance with the original jack from an early model yr, early 80's.

/ deere 336 square baler #6  
Had a 336 many yrs ago so I have some insights based on my baler.

If you ever try to check/adj the timing on the needles, the info in the manual is incorrect. Right after adjing the first time I started breaking needles left and right. Finally spoke with JD mechanic and first this he said was, did you adj by using info in the manual. He then gave me the correct timing info and no more broken needles.

If you continually broke needles you had more wrong with the 336 than timing. The plunger head stop was not working. The needle brake can be too loose and PH stop inoperable with baler in correct time and needles can get broken/bent. I'd be curious to see the incorrect timing information in the operators manual you referred to. Can you scan & post this incorrect info???????

/ deere 336 square baler
I think you can remove breather(parts key #29) to fill and #32 to check oil level without removing FW.

Awesome. Thank you Jim. One last question. Does it require anything special in there? Can I use standard gear oil? or hy-gard?

/ deere 336 square baler #10  
Hello you JD gurus' where can I go to get the manual to time my 336 Square baler with Wisconsin engine, all help will be appreciated!