Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    International 444

Default Roll baling advice?

I recently purchased a New Holland 630 4x4 baler. I have never used a round baler before and have no clue on the right method of use, like how fast, what throttle position, and like how big to make the windrows? I have read some where that there is a special method to make a core to get things started? Any advice is appreciated as the tractor im using is marginal in HP Im afraid I will have to go too slow, if there is such a thing.
    Thanks for any tips!

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

I don't know a thing about that model baler in particular but from putting up hay for several years I will offer my general observations...

You should run the PTO right at 540 rpm. Perhaps slightly more, but no less.

I prefer a nice big wide windrow. With a narrow windrow it is too easy to get the bales bigger on one end than the other, which requires a lot of weaving around from side to side to fix. Another thing I do not like about small windrows is it takes too much driving around to make a bale, I figure it is cheaper to run a rake a little longer and the baler a little less.

As for ground speed, just go slow until you feel comfortable with the operation of the baler. Once you have it pretty much figured out you can increase the speed. You can go too fast, the result will be a loose bale that won't hold it's shape well or in the worse case stop up the baler pick up.

PMA
    Tractor
    John Deere 5325, CI Farmall 85U, Mccormick International 404

Believe me you do not want to clog the baler.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Tractor
    International 444

Default Re: Roll baling advice?

Thanks for the replys. So going slower equals a tighter bale? and what does one do if they clog up a roll baler? Its an easy fix when that happens on our square baler.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    cx70,5510,4630,5005

clog not so easy on round baler.best advice i can give is before starting in the morning wait til all the dew is gone.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    7040 HDC 1153 fel

if you clog up the baler youll have to lay down under the pickup reel an digg all the hay out.been there done that,an its a hot sweaty job.since this is your 1st round baler i suggest you have the NH dealer pick it up an go through it an get it field ready/now its costly todo that but will save breakdowns in the field.then i suggest having them come to show you the proper way to run the baler.youll be time an money ahead doing that.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

Stop picking up hay before the overfull limit is reached!
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

'01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

Tractor
    John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by bigbull338 View Post
    if you clog up the baler youll have to lay down under the pickup reel an digg all the hay out.been there done that,an its a hot sweaty job.

Don't forget about those fireants. But I don't think they have that problem in Ky.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbull338 View Post
    if you clog up the baler youll have to lay down under the pickup reel an digg all the hay out.been there done that,an its a hot sweaty job.
    I have found it is easier to dump the tailgate and push the clog from inside out than to pull it out. Not that it makes it anymore fun to do.

Tractor
    John Deere 7230, 4430, 4230

If you don't have a monitor for the baler (may not even had one anyway) you will either have to make some wide rows, like the width of the baler, or do the old swerve method. Like count in your head, to like 8 or 10 seconds then switch sides of the row. As far as rpm of baler, your tractor should have a tac, so rev her up to around 1700 or 1800 and that should be a good starting point. You can go with whatever sounds good. I wouldn't recommend making your baler fly by a wide open throttle. All i have even ran is New Holland balers. I wouldn't go much slower then like 3 mph. Most of the time we run about 5 mph. Maybe a little more. The guys that say they can bale at 10 mph must have some smooth as glass fields. good luck with the baler.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast