Have hay but no need for it - suggestions

/ Have hay but no need for it - suggestions #1  

number9L

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Guys, we bought some property a couple months ago and we have a ridge that is cleared off and there is now fairly tall hay all over it. I started to bush hog it and made two strips down it (for my boys to ride their dirtbikes) and then got to thinking, "this looks an awefull lot like hay and maybe I shouldn't just mow it down". I've seen the last several days, guys all up and down the road the property is on out cutting hay. I don't know anything about hay or processing it or anything.

I've thought about asking one of them if they'd like to come and cut it, because I really don't have any use for it, other than I may need some in a few months to cover when I sew more grass. How does that work when someone else comes and cuts your hay? What kind of a deal do you normally work out - aside from just giving it to them for nothing? Maybe they come cut it and bail it and I keep several bails for my own use, if I need it for grass later on or what?

/ Have hay but no need for it - suggestions #2  
"Normal" split here is 1/3 to 1/2 for you - they get the rest for their work. Or you agree to take 1/3 of the sale price if they are selling hay.

/ Have hay but no need for it - suggestions #3  
I think this will depend on the circumstances. I have neighbors with relatively small tracts who let farmers harvest hay for free. This saves the neighbors the expense of bush hogging the tracts. Others with larger tracts have cash or share leases.

I would talk to several farmers to determine whether they are interested, and if so, what terms they propose.

Steve

/ Have hay but no need for it - suggestions #4  
I think this will depend on the circumstances. I have neighbors with relatively small tracts who let farmers harvest hay for free. This saves the neighbors the expense of bush hogging the tracts. Others with larger tracts have cash or share leases.

I would talk to several farmers to determine whether they are interested, and if so, what terms they propose.

Steve
I agree. BTW, how many acres? You neighbors can tell you what quality it is, whether Horse or Cattle.

/ Have hay but no need for it - suggestions #5  
Depends on a number of things. How big is the field? How steep is this ridge area? Going price for hay? There are times the price for good quality hay is worth it's weight in gold, and other times it's not even cost effective to let it grow, much less cut it.

/ Have hay but no need for it - suggestions #6  
If it is determined to be horse grade then so many people with horses simply cannot afford to pay for hay. Especially in winter. Local hay banks will often work with someone who volunteers. They may/will come cut and bale and haul away. Those in need will use the hay bank to keep animals fed while times are hard. Here in Mi I am friends w a couple lads who are big into hay banks for the needy and this post just made me think of that angle. Tx. CG.

/ Have hay but no need for it - suggestions #7  
Let a local farmer cut, bale, and fertilize it. Make sure he keeps records of time of cut, yield, amount of fertilizer, etc. You keep copies of the records. This way you can get or keep your agricultural property tax exemption.

/ Have hay but no need for it - suggestions #8  
I have a farmer friend that does hay. My 3 acers is between his property and the other property he does so he drives right past my field with all the equipment.

The field will produce about 200 small bales first cut and 100-150 second cut. Last year it made 100 second and 100 third.

Our agreement is half. I have taken my half and sold it independent, and have also sold it to the guy who cuts it for $3 a bale.

This year the guy drilled some more pasture mix into it early, as well as sped some fertilizer. I anticipate a $300 bill for that or surrender my half of the first cut.

This spring has been EXTREAMLY wet and the guys dont have corn in yet. With weather forcast, its unlikely it will be cut for another several weeks dispite it being ready 2-3 weeks ago.

My field is orchard grass mix with some clover. Not alfalfa. I do have a market for the grass hay that isnt pure alfalfa in my area.