What implement works best for mowing pasture high......

/ What implement works best for mowing pasture high...... #1  

ATP

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038e and LS K 5047
I've got pasture that I want to cut tall NOT cut for hay.... when I bush hog ... it leaves the tractor tires layed over.....I;m using a CUT tractor and 5 ft bush hog.... any ideas for small tractor to cut pasture/fescue.orchard grass tall....?

thought of a sickle,,,but how to keep the end down and not bounce in and out of height range,,,??

can you cut tall with a drum cutter?

Thanks for replies

/ What implement works best for mowing pasture high...... #2  
Sickles also tend to lift the end of the bar more than the root, e.g. angle up, when lifted. And you are correct, they will bounce. Maybe a mid mount mower lifted way up?

/ What implement works best for mowing pasture high...... #3  
If you want to spend the money get a skidsteer mower mounted on the fel. You probably don't have enough pump flow though and would need a pto pump as well. They may also be too heavy, but it's something to look into.

Maybe mow in reverse?

Sorry but I can't see what tractor you have as it doesn't show up in the mobile app.

/ What implement works best for mowing pasture high...... #4  
your bush hog will work fine you just need to not go in the same direction all the time. try this make a swipe going east to west or north to south, the next swipe go the oppisite direction. if you do that it will pick up the grass that is rode down by the tires and your field will look as if you mowed it with lawn mower. i do that ever fall and works good. hope this helps

/ What implement works best for mowing pasture high......
your bush hog will work fine you just need to not go in the same direction all the time. try this make a swipe going east to west or north to south, the next swipe go the oppisite direction. if you do that it will pick up the grass that is rode down by the tires and your field will look as if you mowed it with lawn mower. i do that ever fall and works good. hope this helps

Great advice... thanks....
I did one little section like you mentioned and thought it looked like less was ridden down.... you just confirmed what I thought I saw....thanks