Hay elevator chain

/ Hay elevator chain #1  

rd_macgregor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC, Kubota B2650
Last summer the chain on our 30' Little Giant elevator (model P1656) broke. The internet is not helping me much in tracking down some matching links to repair this.
Any suggestions??
BOB

/ Hay elevator chain #2  
Should be detachable link chain, they have it on the shelf at our local tractor supply. I think mine is #55 but they have several sizes, best to bring a couple of links with you.

/ Hay elevator chain #3  
Back when I worked for a JD dealer I regularly sold the detachable chain links in several different sizes.

/ Hay elevator chain #4  
Last summer the chain on our 30' Little Giant elevator (model P1656) broke. The internet is not helping me much in tracking down some matching links to repair this.
Any suggestions??
BOB

55 and 65 chain is common, however, as said, take couple links with you when going to buy new. Ken Sweet

/ Hay elevator chain
After talking with my supplier, I agree... now to see about getting a link or two separated from the rest...hammer sideways, right?
BOB

/ Hay elevator chain #6  
After talking with my supplier, I agree... now to see about getting a link or two separated from the rest...hammer sideways, right?
BOB

The correct link holding tool makes detaching links a lot easier. Worn chains are much,much easier to separate than new links.

/ Hay elevator chain #7  
Yup, flex the chain to where the side of one link lines up with the slot of the other link. To make life easier there is a tool you can buy at most farm supply stores for around $20 which helps hold one link while you beat the other link loose. I made mine from a 4" length of 3/8" x 4" angle iron which I used my chop saw to cut a groove into it the depth of the width of the chain link.

I will attempt to attach a picture of the store bought tool.

John

Attachments

• Chain Detacher.jpg
    Chain Detacher.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 330