Replacing round baler main tension springs

/ Replacing round baler main tension springs #1  

BeeferMan

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 1194, Ford 641, NH TT75A
I was just starting to put up some round bales with my Case 8420 on Sunday, was tying off the fifth one, when BANG! and the over-full bale alert went off at full volume. I thought hmmm, that doesn't sound good. I did a quick walk around and didn't see anything broken or exploded, so I started it up slowly again - everything turned as it should, but the over-full bale alert definitely was not working right (it's just a mechanical thing). I dumped the bale and started a closer examination and finally discovered that one of the big main tension springs was broken - the end loop snapped off on the bottom, so it was just hanging in place rather than being hooked up properly. Ok, end of baling for that day...

Anyway, I ordered a new spring and it got delivered yesterday, quick and easy install. But I did measure the old spring against the new one and the old one was a little longer by about 1.5 inches (over all length of the spring is about 2') So I started wondering if maybe I should be replacing the right and left pair rather than just one? I'm thinking that by the time they're fully stretched out it's not going to make much difference, but...

Thoughts?

/ Replacing round baler main tension springs #2  
Hi there;
I replaced 1 of my main tension springs 3 years ago and didn't have any problems with it afterwords.

Momma always said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

DVF

/ Replacing round baler main tension springs
Thx, based on the number of replies I'm going to assume that it's not a problem... :)