JD 24T - broken input shaft (bevel gear shaft). Used part or cross to other models?

/ JD 24T - broken input shaft (bevel gear shaft). Used part or cross to other models? #1  

petes

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200 (21hp) , IH B275 (28hp), JD 1830 (68hp)
So as it goes, I've got the week off work, 20 acres mowed, 5 of it raked and ready to bale. About 10 bales into the field the feeder chain snapped (at 10 minutes to 5pm). A quick phone call to the parts store and they stayed open long enough for me to pick up a box of chain. While fixing that, I noticed the sprocket for the drive chain (different chain) was out of alignment... turns out the input shaft to the gearbox had snapped under a pinned collar just in front of the gearbox. DOH! No more baling last night. Pulled it out, enduring the onslaught of moths attracted to my worklights and sticking to anything oily by the handful. I found the crack starting on the pin hole had been progressing for quite awhile. I've got it off getting welded to hopefully get back to baling this afternoon , but want to buy another just in case it doesn't hold up. Dealer price is pretty steep, so looking for used.

photo2.JPG

photo1.JPG

Does anyone know if the input shaft for a 24T, part number E 19130 will cross with other models like a 224T?

Does anyone have a shaft they'd be willing to sell?

I'll also be disassembling the slip clutch and making sure it's not stuck....

Pete
three-six-oh nine three three four seven zero one.

/ JD 24T - broken input shaft (bevel gear shaft). Used part or cross to other models? #2  
If it were me, I would throw the old shaft in the recycling and order a new one and have it shipped overnight-red to my doorstep.
I have no confidence in welding the shaft right at the hole.
Don't waste time.

/ JD 24T - broken input shaft (bevel gear shaft). Used part or cross to other models? #3  
A couple of comments.

I'm just trying to get started haying with some old equipment... and learning with the hard knocks school.... Anyway, you've gotten a broken shaft, and broken chain... Look downstream of those to see if something else is jammed.

I just bought a used IH 47. The lady I bought it from said she had it tuned for last year as a spare, and had test-baled 100 bales or so... If only she had actually baled 101 bales, I'm quite certain the whole baler would have imploded!!!! Anyway, the idler pulleys and chain driving the pickup teeth were giving me headaches... After working on it for a bit, I discovered it was due to a fouled up repair job on the mechanism to rotate the pickup teeth.... and a lot more stuff to take apart.

Welding can weaken some types of shafts such as "stressproof steel" used by some companies. Others may be best to heat treat and temper. JD may be able to tell you what the shaft is made out of.

If the hole is a big concern, you might be able to get a short section of replacement steel like the original, then weld a short piece between. You would have two welds, but a good piece of steel for the hole to be drilled.

However, a good weld should also be quite strong, especially if you are just using it for 20 acres, then replacing it with a new one, and the old one going into the spares pile.