bale thrower and an open sided wagon

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon #1  

king1

Tractor
Farmall 706 German diesel,Ford 2810, Ford 600
I have a 273 with a 54a bale thrower that i just got this year. Anyone every try to use an open sided wagon with a bale thrower?

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon #2  
Yeah. I don't work too good without someone to stack on the wagon. It's slightly better than no wagon. If someone is on there to stack at least you can get a decent amount on there.

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon #3  
No good with out sides. Its even hard to have a person on there piling when using a kicker. Look out for flyin bales!!!

To use a no sided wagon have the chute from the baler back to the wagon where the stacker can grab it.

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon #4  
Can be done, but I dont recommend it. We have a 273 with a belt kicker and I baled for the neighbor once when their knotter stopped tying. He had wagons with only backs and it was almost impossible for his sons (who were on the wagon) to keep the bales on the wagon.
Was MUCH easier when we went and got our basket wagons.

Aaron Z

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon #5  
I would disable the thrower and have a guy on the wagon take the bales from the thrower and stack. The bales come out fast and it isn't safe for a person back there without sides. With sides you can toss the bales on the down wind side so the chaff is not blowing onto the stacker (they appreciate it more).

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon #6  
I would disable the thrower and have a guy on the wagon take the bales from the thrower and stack. The bales come out fast and it isn't safe for a person back there without sides. With sides you can toss the bales on the down wind side so the chaff is not blowing onto the stacker (they appreciate it more).
The problem we ran into was that the kicker on our baler didn't stick out enough to drop the bale into the wagon, it would drop it onto the tongue so the guys stacking (at 10PM) had to almost stand on the tongue to grab the bales.
Was much better when we switched to our basket wagons and they just had to stack the bales, not keep them from falling off of the wagon.

Aaron Z

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon #7  
The problem we ran into was that the kicker on our baler didn't stick out enough to drop the bale into the wagon, it would drop it onto the tongue so the guys stacking (at 10PM) had to almost stand on the tongue to grab the bales.
Was much better when we switched to our basket wagons and they just had to stack the bales, not keep them from falling off of the wagon.

Aaron Z

Yeah, I can see that being an issue. I forgot with the kicker wagons we have the front gates that they stand on that brings them right to the thrower. With flat wagons it would need extra modifications to make work.

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon
i am considering all sorts of options. i my consider eliminating the 54a off the 273 and getting a bale turner and a self loading wagon or two. A little costly but it is hard to find help at times. We are a small operation, mostly my wife and I, that bale at 3 different locations 15 miles from the main barn so i have to take travel into consideration. I need a system to move the most amount of bales safely down the road but i also need to get the bales out of the field fast and effciently. This is our first yr really going at this for ourselves and we did not have the money to invest into the tale end of the operation. Heck, we are still getting the bugs outta the baler! Pretty close though, it's a good ole' girl.

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon #9  
i am considering all sorts of options. i my consider eliminating the 54a off the 273 and getting a bale turner and a self loading wagon or two. A little costly but it is hard to find help at times. We are a small operation, mostly my wife and I, that bale at 3 different locations 15 miles from the main barn so i have to take travel into consideration. I need a system to move the most amount of bales safely down the road but i also need to get the bales out of the field fast and effciently. This is our first yr really going at this for ourselves and we did not have the money to invest into the tale end of the operation. Heck, we are still getting the bugs outta the baler! Pretty close though, it's a good ole' girl.

Don't recall seeing balers with kickers pulling bale wagons either with or without sides around here. All the guys hereabouts use bale turners on the end of the chute and pick up the bales with used New Holland bale stackers (either self propelled or the towed kind). I cringe at the thought of a flying 100+ pound 3-twine bale whacking me in the head :(.

/ bale thrower and an open sided wagon #10  
One fellow in our neighbourhood used an allied 6 bale automatic stooker, then after the baling was done he would go out with basket wagons and simply pick up and dump the stooks over the sides without stacking and draw them to the barn. There at the barn it was no different than unloading from a kicker. I always thought this made a fairly decent way for one guy to get the baling done and then schedule help when it is convenient since the hay already got baled.