new at haying

/ new at haying #1  

IloveJesus

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mccormick 40 hp, Jinma 284
Hello, I have a Mccormick 40hp, and I am wondering what cutter/mower, small baler and rake would work best for that size of tractor?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

/ new at haying #2  
Not an authority on it but some might recommend a sickle bar mower for haying with that size tractor. It cuts the grass low and leaves the blades long which apparently is better for baling. The mower I have, an older 7' MF Dynabalance, in pretty good condition, cost me $800 US last year. They're a pretty simple machine and parts for this one anyway, are still available.

/ new at haying #3  
With that small of a tractor, I'd say sickle bar or small disc or drum mower.
Look at this one: Kuhn GMD 500 That's a 5-head disc mower that requires 35 hp at the PTO.
For a rake, you can use just about anything except a hydraulic unit, and you wouldn't need one that big anyway. I use a 10-wheel rake that's mounted on a dolly. I can pull it with my 35 hp tractor. You just have to have one set of remotes.
Baler will be a problem. You might can find an old square baler (like a MF 12) or really small round baler (like a 3x4) that was made for the smaller tractors. Currently, the smallest JD square baler has a minimum requirement of 35 hp at the PTO. So, technically, your there. But you won't be happy with it. A baler really works a tractor.

/ new at haying #4  
I have 40 hp at the PTO. I use a NH 477 mower/conditioner (MoCo) that cuts 7 feet wide. I can cut as fast as I can stand the bouncing. Disk mowers cut fast and require lots of HP. Sickle bar mowers ... not as much per foot of cut

The key point is speed/width. More speed/width requires more HP. Your 40HP limits the speed of getting over the hay field.

/ new at haying #5  
I started haying alfalfa about 8 years ago.... Bought a sickle bar.... WAPITA.... Rebuilt the cutter,still had problems..... finally I bought a drum mower.... what a dream to cut hay with.... doesn't plug up when cutting..... mows clean at about 1 1/2"..... hay dries fast without conditioning.... I use it on my NAA....

2 on the tractor.jpg

I can highly recommend a drum mower.... My neighbor cut my alfalfa, while I was between mowers and he used a disc , JD mo-co 14' wide.... It was faster than the 4.5' foot cutting width of the drum.... but that's about all.... the drum is fantastic....
2 Alfalfa 2013.jpg

/ new at haying
Thanks Bigfoot62 I'll check it out

/ new at haying
Thanks DaveOmak, for the great advice, I won't be growing alfalfa (too rich for my horses), I'll definitely check out the drum mower!!

/ new at haying
Thanks hosspuller, I'll check out the NH 477 mower

/ new at haying
Thanks for the advice keegs, I'll keep it in mind

/ new at haying #10  
You might want to describe the conditions of your hay field. For example, if you have rocks or rough ground, the recommendations might change.

Good luck.