what baler would you take??

/ what baler would you take?? #1  

farmall 55a case

Platinum Member
Tractor
case ih farmall 55a
I have an offer for my truck of two balers! One is a Vermeer 605c and the other one is a gehl 1500. They both a round balers. What should I be on the lookout for? I have not seen them yet and won't be able to till the end of this week! And info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Farmall.

/ what baler would you take?? #2  
I know absolutely nothing about the Gehl.

The Vermeer is probably 35-40 years old. They were good balers, in their day, but were notorious for clogging up when starting a roll. It makes a 5' wide x 6' diameter roll. I don't think your tractor would handle it. (if the one in your signature is the only tractor you have)

/ what baler would you take??
I have a 706 international also. From the price if seen for the balers and there are also going to trade a gehl 1090 mower conditioner also so the average condition price of the equipment is about equal with the truck so it would be a fair trade plus i dont use the truck any more and would like to start making hay for my father in law. Just didn't know what one to pick? Dose it seem the belt balers have a hard time balling up? Was around a Heston once and it seemed to have that problem?

/ what baler would you take?? #4  
Hey I run a 605c and have for the last 3 years. Got a good deal on. Paid 500. I run it with a 33 hp mahindra. It handles it and can make a full size bale but I usually don't because there harder to handle. U dont need alot of hp to run it as its closed throat.
It does take some time to get good at starting a bale but once it's rolling your going to town. Check the belts for broken splices also check the front roller bearings as they are the hardest to get to and usually don't get redone. U can go online to Vermeer and get a free manual and parts book which is really nice for repairs. They were top of the line balers in thier day and are still very dependable.
Make sure the owner gives u a crash course in it operation as all balers can be very dangerous. Never go under a raised tailgate there's no lock on old balers . It will kill u dead.

Hey I run a 605c and have for the last 3 years. Got a good deal on. Paid 500. I run it with a 33 hp mahindra. It handles it and can make a full size bale but I usually don't because there harder to handle. U dont need alot of hp to run it as its closed throat.
It does take some time to get good at starting a bale but once it's rolling your going to town. Check the belts for broken splices also check the front roller bearings as they are the hardest to get to and usually don't get redone. U can go online to Vermeer and get a free manual and parts book which is really nice for repairs. They were top of the line balers in thier day and are still very dependable.
Make sure the owner gives u a crash course in it operation as all balers can be very dangerous. Never go under a raised tailgate there's no lock on old balers . It will kill u dead.

Thanks for the advice! As always safety first!

/ what baler would you take?? #6  
Just in case people don't see this under other threads.

If you are looking at used ones to buy, unless you can buy for scrap price gehl anything isn't worth it IMO. Gehl has been out of the ag business for many years now and parts are very hard to come by with some things. A farmer I am friends with had to junk his 3-4 year old forage chopper due to he could not get the parts he needed when it broke. I know others with disk mowers and can not get parts either, their machines are a little older. I believe it was 2006 when they stopped all Ag products to focus on construction only.

That is something to really take into confederation! There is a dealer that use to sell them near by. I will check with them and see if they can still get parts! Dose Vermeer still make balers? That's for your input!

/ what baler would you take?? #8  
That is something to really take into confederation! There is a dealer that use to sell them near by. I will check with them and see if they can still get parts! Dose Vermeer still make balers? That's for your input!

Yes they do still make ag products including balers. Vermeer is also tied in with Kubota on the ag side with marketing and matching machinery together. So I don't think Vermeer will drop the ag line anytime too soon.

One note on dealers, from what I've seen many have Gehl products (balers, choppers, etc) priced like they were still in business IMO.

Thanks! Here are a pic of the balers they sent me.

ForumRunner_20130715_041453.png

ForumRunner_20130715_041502.png