Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales

Quote Originally Posted by bjr View Post
    I know the dust really blow on those knotters but, I'd get me a air tank and blow 'em off once in a while. bjr
    I try to blow them off with the leaf blower at least every night, that picture was after a few hundred bales.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    That is the spring I circled in orange? There was one on each knotter and the one circled in orange broke (the "hook" snapped off of the end of the spring) and I replaced it a few hundred bales later when I stumbled across another one in the toolbox.

Aaron Z
    That's the one.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Tractor
    Montana 4940C, FEL, Quick change 3 point factory hitch, pallet forks, grapple, 50 gal tank sprayer, Bush Hog PHD

Had a similar problem with my 271. I found that the internal of the bill hook had a sharp edge to it. Filed it down so it was a little rounded and it worked like a champ. The manual shows how it should look. Once you get these NH balers tuned in they just keep kicking them out like a champ.
    Ah......a baler.....the love hate relationship with every farmer and rancher.....
    RickB is the man on these puppies.

Glenn.

Tractor
    Case 1194, Ford 641, NH TT75A

A square baler is still my favorite piece of equipment. When someone else is baling I'll just walk along side the baler to watch it work sometimes. Watching them do their thing, making and tying and spitting out bale after bale, even the older ones - 15, 20, 30 even 40+ years old - is just really satisfying. They're made to last until the last critical component is just plain are worn away. That's the way all equipment used to be made, not like so much cheap crap today. Does my heart good to just watch them work...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Case 1194, NH TT75A, Ford 600, Bobcat A300, balers, rakes, mowers, tedders, spreaders and lots of other toys as well...

- Jim

Tractor
    John Deere 4020 & 2950 MFWD

Hey Guy's, I had the same problem yesterday with my 273 baler too! After close examination, i noticed that the cutting blades were really worn down to almost nothing. And isn't it nice that they can't be replaced?! There riveted on. The good thing is, i have had two new knotter assemblies in my shop for the last 4 years just for when this event happened. Bad thing is, i don't have a manual that shows how to remove the old ones and install the new ones. Anyone have a shop manual that shows how to do this? I'm hoping it isn't a major undertaking. I'm mechanically inclined to a point, but not having done this to a baler before i could sure use some help! If you have a smart phone and could take photo's of the pages or copy them and e-mail them to me it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

I will try to remember to see if its in our manual when I get home.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Beefalo View Post
    Hey Guy's, I had the same problem yesterday with my 273 baler too! After close examination, i noticed that the cutting blades were really worn down to almost nothing. And isn't it nice that they can't be replaced?! There riveted on. The good thing is, i have had two new knotter assemblies in my shop for the last 4 years just for when this event happened. Bad thing is, i don't have a manual that shows how to remove the old ones and install the new ones. Anyone have a shop manual that shows how to do this? I'm hoping it isn't a major undertaking. I'm mechanically inclined to a point, but not having done this to a baler before i could sure use some help! If you have a smart phone and could take photo's of the pages or copy them and e-mail them to me it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    There is no shop manual for a 273, just the operator's manual which is readily available for probably less than $25. Yes, you can change the twine knives on the knife arms if you know how to grind off rivets and install nuts & bolts.

Tractor
    John Deere 2950 w/ MFWD

Ugh! I have the operators & parts manuals, how are we suppose to work on these balers without shop manuals?

Tractor
    Case 1194, Ford 641, NH TT75A

NH has a manual on their knotters. It's not model specific, but they're all basically the same. Here's one, they can be found for less money...

New Holland Knotters Knotter Standard Heavy Duty Service Manual 9 83 Supp 84 | eBay
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Case 1194, NH TT75A, Ford 600, Bobcat A300, balers, rakes, mowers, tedders, spreaders and lots of other toys as well...

- Jim

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by TheKuhnFamily View Post
    Ugh! I have the operators & parts manuals, how are we suppose to work on these balers without shop manuals?
    The baler op manual has all the knotter troubleshooting needed. The rest of it is just nuts & bolts, bearings & shafts; sprockets & chains. These machines & books were made when guys had to know how to fix stuff without being led around by the hand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast