NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
Baling yesterday with our NH 273 with a 54a belt kicker and we had 2 different issues:
1. Randomly (every 7-20 bales?) the string wouldn't cut on one bale so one bale would blow out of the kicker and the next one would be properly tied, but it would have a "tail" with the missing string from the previous bale that blew out. When it was doing this, we had a missing spring (one of the big ones that pulls down on the knotter assembly). Not sure if that was related, but I found a spare spring in the toolbox and put it on.
2. Sometimes, the bales would blow apart in the kicker and when you looked at the twine, the left side string had a knot in one end of the string, but not in the other.

Baled 330 bales yesterday and have another 4-500 to bale this afternoon, so looking for some ideas on what to check.

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #2  
It could be a few things. Hard to say without seeing it. Check your bill hooks for sharp edges, they could cut the string when it is pushed off and make sure the cutter for the string is sharp. Also make sure the bill hook is working properly and able to release the knot when it should. Check for play between the knotter gears and the plate that spins and that the wiper arm is just touching the bill hook as it wipes across.

There are a few more. I usually end up walking behind the baler to see what the issue is with the knotter cover removed so I can see it when it happens. Sometimes that helps.

It sucks with this weather we have had when you baler breaks.

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #3  
There are several simple adjustments in the new holland knotter service manual which I can send you . I agree that your knife needs to be sharp! And have you cleaned the knotter assy and checked the bill hook for any rough spots. Should be very smooth and polished. Also the needle and twine advance settings with the half' moon looking think is very fast to adjust when you follow the manual. Let us know how it goes. CG

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #4  
Knot in one end but not the other-last time this happened to me,it was because the twine finger wasn't catching the twine and it didn't get to the knotter when the needle brought it up.

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #5  
That spring sounds like the twine finger spring and that not being there could have been the problem. The guys are giving you good information. Remove the knotter lock bolts and roll the knotters back and take a look and have the knot removal half moon plate brushing the bill hook firmly. The knife arm is bendable for adjustment. bjr

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales
IIRC, the spring is ~1" in diameter and 4-6" long. It goes from the knotter assembly (hooks over a cast part) to the frame (goes into a hole in the bracket).

I'll look at things later today.

Aaron Z

I greased the knotters and after that we only had a couple of misties in ~550 bales.
Here is the knot that it was tying (2 blown bales, then this one):
IMAGE_289.jpg
Knotters:
IMAGE_290.jpg
The spring that I replaced is highlighted with an orange box in the above picture.

Talked to one of the guys at the Kubota dealership (he was unloading hay for one of our customers) and he is going to get me the number of someone who does onsite tractor work an is supposed to be very good with balers. We'll have him give this one a once over, then look at the International 440 that wont clean the knot off of the billhook on one side so that we can get it working and sell it.

Aaron Z

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #8  
Only one twine finger return spring is required. Adding a second won't improve or hurt anything except add a little wear to the twine finger cam follower bearing.

That is the spring I circled in orange? There was one on each knotter and the one circled in orange broke (the "hook" snapped off of the end of the spring) and I replaced it a few hundred bales later when I stumbled across another one in the toolbox.

Aaron Z

/ NH 273 baler misties one side of some bales #10  
I know the dust really blow on those knotters but, I'd get me a air tank and blow 'em off once in a while. bjr