Vermeer Roound Baler 605 L

/ Vermeer Roound Baler 605 L #1  

cowpuncherdeluxe

Tractor
Ford TW 25
Was wondering if anyone else has this problem and what they did to fix it. When baling (grass/alfalfa - predominately grass), hay wads up or collects between the outside left belt and the baler wall. I still form good bales but I do have to remove this hay so it doesn't get too hot with the baler belts running. The left side or edge of a finished bale is kind of ratty looking too. It starts out with a single wad by the roller and then they progressively stack on top of each other until I remove them.

I have tried to be real aggressive about feeding hay to that side of the baler to make sure there is a good core, thinking I may not have been doing this since that side of the baler is the furthest from your view when baling. Does not change the problem for me.

Thanks for any help.

/ Vermeer Roound Baler 605 L #2  
The Vermeer balers I have ran all have a notch cut into the outside edge belts near the lace. I was told this was to help dislodge the hay from between the belt and the side of the roller. However, I still routinely run into the problem you describe. It seems that some hay types will wad up worse than others.

I will also be interested to hear what a Vermeer guru has to say.

/ Vermeer Roound Baler 605 L #3  
Not a "guru" at all. :D
And, currently, I have a JD baler, not a Vermeer.
But, here's what I've found: I have that problem whenever either one of two things happen.
1. The hay has a high moisture content. Even when the dew starts rising, it will cause that.
2. The hay is very short and dry. (like it is here right now)

If I'm baling good, well-cured hay that in full windrows, it's not a problem.

/ Vermeer Roound Baler 605 L #4  
A right handed man has a tendency to put more hay on the right. You are pushing the belts against the side and they are pinching hay between the side wall and belt. It goes with the belt until the belt guide strips it off and catches the hay. Your twine is probably falling off that side as well. Make sure you put more hay than you think you need in that side and you will eliminate the problem. Windrow should be half the width of the chamber or full width, nothing else. No round baler moves hay laterally within the chamber. It is like rolling wire on a spool. Keep it even. Take care of the side edges of the bale and the center will take care of itself.

/ Vermeer Roound Baler 605 L
Thanks for the help. I guess I was on the right track, just need to be more aggressive about loading up the left side. My trouble is with first cutting as the hay is too thick/heavy to make the windrows half as wide as the baler and not enough to make the full width. I don't have a double rake. I prefer not to rake it (I have a single side delivery rake) as the hay flows into the baler nicer (personal preference). Don't have the problem with second or third cutting. Thanks again.