Windrow Width

/ Windrow Width #11  
Wheel rakes come in 2 different configurations. The type I think is best is the one similar to the photo I posted with the rake wheels on the inside of the frame next to the unraked hay. The other style are generally the fold in the air(butterfly) type that have the frames next to the unraked hay with the rake wheels on the very outside. In heavy hay the frames block the flow of the hay which causes these clumps(bunches) in the windrow. Plus as these butterfly rakes get worn it allows the rear rake wheels to get closer/further apart affecting windrow width. I can narrow my H&S hi-cap down to the narrowest windrow setting for sq baling and still get no clumps(bunches) in the windrow. Another thing I like about my hi-capacity rake is I can adjust my raking width from 28' down to 5 ' and my windrow width from 3' to 5'+ which are totally independent of each other. On butterfly rake windrow & raking width are """"dependent on each other""""

/ Windrow Width
Thanks for the replies. I am still looking to upgrade to a 10-wheel rake. Some of them will only go down to a 4' windrow. The Vermeers will go narrower than most.
BSRFARMS97, occasionally I do bunch up in tight corners. My hayfield was neglected for many years. I am just now getting the field in good shape but the grass is not as thick as I would like. I tried a 5' windrow and it was very thin in the middle. Wondering if a 10-wheel rake will help put enough in the wider windrow.
I recently spoke with other baler guys and they all seem to like the narrow windrows for 5' balers and wide windrows for 4' balers. They weave like I have been doing. The bales are nice and tight.
I only bale enough hay to keep my cows fed. Sometimes I have a few extra to sell but I am very picky about the quality of grass I bale.
I am always looking for better ways to do things so I appreciate all the input from more experienced guys.

/ Windrow Width #13  
What we did when the hay was thin, was to rake two windrows together. Or do the first one normally, then just catch it on the edge of the rake, so you would have 1 1/2 times the hay per windrow. {we always had more time than money} But more often than not, our problem was the hay being too thick. Then we would take off the outside wheel on each side, converting our 8 wheel rake into a 6 wheel rake.

/ Windrow Width #14  
I modefy'd the pickup on my round baler ( vermeer 605 D) to 6' wide from the stock 5'. I set my haybine to leave a swath 5.5" wide. That way i can drive straight down the swath and get a evenly packed bale with tight square corners.
I never rake or turn the swath.