Windrow Width

/ Windrow Width #1  

jdjdjd

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M9540 Grand Cab
Currently baling with a Vermeer 8-wheel rake making about a 2.5 foot windrow for a 5 foot round baler. Is this standard practice or should I try for a 5 foot windrow.
Mostly coastal and bluestem but I also do a first cutting of annual ryegrass.
I am also looking at 10-wheel rakes and just looking for advice.

JD in Texas

/ Windrow Width #2  
You're doing fine. You already have a rake, and I assume it's paid for. I have a 10-wheel, but it's what came in the "package" when I bought my used baler, mower, and rake.
You really want a windrow that's not as wide as the baler, so you can weave from side to side. That's how you make a uniform bale.

/ Windrow Width #3  
as said your doing fine with the rake you have.if you have a full widow as wide as your pickup reeltheres no need in weaving back an forth.thats the way bales was made years ago.

/ Windrow Width
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at an H&S AR10 rake and the literature says windrow width adjustment from 4' to 6'.
I am not sure how that would work out.

/ Windrow Width #5  
I liked for my windrow to be as wide as my baler. We used an 1978 year model Gehl until last year. You had to have a full windrow for it to spin up. We had taken the two outside wheels off the rake for when the hay was too thick. So when it was thinner, we had to rake two windrows into one. Even then it was a job starting a bale. Sold our cows and gave up the haying. Now we lease the field.

/ Windrow Width #6  
I think a 4' windrow would work better than 2.5' for a 5' pick up. Do you have hay saver wheels on the baler?

/ Windrow Width
Yes, hay saver wheels.

/ Windrow Width #8  
I like my windrows wide as my rd baler. If the windrow is uniformly made very little weaving is required for a uniform bale. I have never regretted buying my H&S hi-cap 14 wheel rake.If I choose to rake less hay I just move the hyd control lever. If I choose to change windrow width I just turn crank on the rear. Photo is of a rake similar to mine.

Attachments

• HICAPBIMAIN.jpg
    HICAPBIMAIN.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 253
   / Windrow Width #9  
Hello, I work for a hay and silage contractor.The art in making a round bale with square shoulders lies with the rake and operator. The row should be about the same width as the pickup. The SHAPE is critical. It needs to be as square as possible to give a square shouldered bale (even chamber fill) . Around shouldered bale means you have a row that is V or pyramid shaped. Zig zagging down the row will still leave you with round shouldered bales.

/ Windrow Width #10  
I would definitely set my windrows to the same width is my baler. Your bales will look much better and be easier for handling, stacking, and less hay lose if bales are outside.
(Just out of curiosity) I am not familiar with coastal any. I have baled my fair share of rye grass though. How are you able to set your V rake to that narrow of a windrow and not bunch up your hay? I know here is mostly fescue, clover, timothy, and alfalfa. I have a 8 wheel rake that I use and its set to make a 4ft windrow and in thicker hay it still bunches up at times. I couldn't set mine to be any narrower of a windrow if I wanted. But like I said I'm not very familiar with most of the hay your baleing so could it be that, that type hay is somewhat thinner? Just asking.