getting the right tractor?

/ getting the right tractor? #1  

Lefty65

Tractor
Ford 600
will a ford 2110 4x4 deisel 38horse tractor do everything i need to cut rake & sqaure bail hay on a 20 arce feild?
im wanting to start doing my own hay for our horse stables.

/ getting the right tractor? #2  
Will it do it? Absolutely with the right sized equipment. A small 6' drum or sickle mower, a wheel rake and a smaller square baler like a 24T and you should be good to go. Now with that being said it's going to take you some time to probably do it due to the size of the implements you will have to run. 20 acres is a pretty large area to tackle in one shot.

/ getting the right tractor?
thanks super55
going to check on 24T baler

/ getting the right tractor? #4  
will a ford 2110 4x4 deisel 38horse tractor do everything i need to cut rake & sqaure bail hay on a 20 arce feild?

I second the recommendations made by super55.

I would add that you should include self-powered balers in your shopping quest. My neighbor bales about 8 acres of oat hay using one of these. He pulls it around his hayfield with his Kubota L4400. The baler is powered by an on-board 20 hp gas engine that drives the baler via triple V-belts connected to the baler flywheel. It's a three-twine type that produces 100-120 lb bales. You may want smaller bales (50-60 lb) in which case a 2-twine baler like my pto-driven Massey Ferguson 124 might be the right choice.

AlanB 2013-1.JPG

Good luck

/ getting the right tractor? #5  
That's a slick baler flusher.

A lot of the older balers (I would stick with NH or JD due to some parts still being avail. through dealers) have a really large oversized flywheel on them. They are usually a little bit of work to get the baler initially rolling but once started the centrifugal force will help keep the baler moving along with lower demand from the tractor.

There are vids on youtube with people baling with 8n's, MF 35's and other small gasser tractors with much less Hp and a much lower torque curve than your Ford so that shows it definitely can be done. If you find a baler you like research it a little on youtube than go to tractordata and see if your tractor has equal or greater horsepower. It's a great way to avoid buyers remorse on getting an implement too large for the tractor to handle.

/ getting the right tractor? #6  
seeing that baler with the gas motor on it brings back memories.my dad used to pull what i call a W55 wire baler with a gas motor to run it.an he pulled it with an old 8n tractor.we still have that old baler cutter an rake.

/ getting the right tractor? #7  
I have a 50hp Montana cab tractor, a JD model 39 sickle mower, Bush hog wheel rake and NH 271 square baler. I just finished about 400 bales off our 15 acres which we will feed to our horses this winter. Your 38 hp should be more than enough. I have seen people square baling with a Ford 8N and that's no 38 hp.....
Good luck and enjoy the dust. But the money you will save more than makes up for it.
If you haven't already check out W.R. Longs grapalator....I think it's the answer to handling square bales.

Glenn.

/ getting the right tractor? #8  
It definitely can be done. Like has already been mentioned shop smart for equipment sized to your tractor. Also something to think about is if your field is relatively flat you can get away with slightly bigger equipment than if you have significant hills to deal with. Just take your time knowing its going to take a little longer than the guy with a 100 horse tractor.

/ getting the right tractor? #10  

That ford is a Shibara (spelling) made compact tractor (albeit at the larger end of the compact tractor spectrum). While it is 38 hp that is engine hp. PTO hp is closer to 34.7 PTO hp. My guess is it does NOT have live PTO, but I may be mistaken. That said it is likely to have quite a few gear speed choices.

Will it bale hay? Sure if you pick the right baler? (Frankly your Ford 600 will also bale hay if you pick right baler) Is the Shibara the best choice for baling 20 acres. While I do bale with a Kubota compact tractor myself (much less than 20 acres though); I think for 20 acres I would upsize to a true utility size tractor. Even if the Utility tractor is similar in hp to this very large compact tractor: The gears, PTO driveline, transmission etc will all be made heavier on a true utility frame tractor as compared to that Shibara compact. Shibara was not noted for being anywhere near as good as Kubuta or Yanmar in the Japanese manufacturing world when it came to reliability either.

Of course in the used world: Price and condition matter as well as other things that you may use the tractor for. Maybe outside of haying then this tractor makes more sense than the utility sized tractor would.