New Holland 450 Sickle Mower

/ New Holland 450 Sickle Mower #1  

Agent Blue

Platinum Member
Looking at buying one for trimming around the pond and property edges. Anyone have info on this model.... years available and if the wobble system was a good working system ?

/ New Holland 450 Sickle Mower #2  
I have a 7ft 451 (3pt mount) and like it a lot. It was fairly abused before I got it, but I was able to fix it up again. I had to re-weld a boss and replace all the bearings in the wobble box and drive pulleys, but it seems to be a good design and well built. It'll cut vertically if you want to, and will nip off 1" diameter alder trees without pause... not so good at nipping off T-Posts, but after replacing a section or two (and make a new ledger plate from an old section), good to go again.

/ New Holland 450 Sickle Mower
Any trouble finding parts ? I assume replacement bearings would be the first order of business. Just don't want to end up with a dinosaur and odd specced parts. Any idea the years of manufacture ?

/ New Holland 450 Sickle Mower #4  
No problems finding parts, but they will cost a war pension. I have four 451s , one 455 and just sold a 450. The 450 is a good machine, but the 451 has some improvements that are more desirable. The 451 has a better trip, and head components, but the 450 is a good machine if it is in good shape.

/ New Holland 450 Sickle Mower #5  
Any new holland dealer should be able to get all the posts you need

/ New Holland 450 Sickle Mower #6  
You don't give your location, but here in the Gulf South, nobody uses a sickle mower anymore. Fire ant and gopher mounds will clog it up constantly. Sticks of any size are also a problem.

Its just for cutting around the pond. I have a 370 flail for the fields with trees.
I found a Ford #501 near by for $90.00. New belt and a tune up... sure to fulfill my needs.

/ New Holland 450 Sickle Mower #8  
Parts haven't been a problem for my 451. I got all the tapered roller bearings at my local auto parts store who had them in stock (actually I had to go to 2 autoparts stores to get them all). I bought an aftermarket bolted section knife assembly, but I need to get taller hold-down clips to clear the nuts, so I'm still riviting on sections as needed. I just finished 1600 bales of varied grass types all cut with the NH 451, then ran around the outside/ditches clipping off a bunch 1/2"-1" alder saplings. Mowing was all done at 6mph... I slowed down to 5 or so for the tree clipping.

/ New Holland 450 Sickle Mower #9  
wow ....6mph..that's encouraging..any tips on maintainance?

Your absolutely right... a sickle mower is a step back in time. I repacked the roller bearings in the pitman, greased everything and chopped down both sides of the pond banks. Not the greatest job in the world but for a twice a year remedy at less than a hundred it will work ok. For thick overgrown grass nothing beats the bush hog. My flail with squeal the belt which seems too small to begin with. I cut just to keep the weed seed population in check.