Coyotes in the night after haying

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
I cut about 20 acres of hay over the past 2 days and last night the coyotes discovered it. The area that I cut is about 1000' from the house. Can't say for sure but I think I heard 4 or 5 and they were making a lot of noise. Sounded like they were calling each other from across the farm....Hey...there's lots of mice over here in this fresh cut hay,,, come on over. It woke us up from a dead sleep..I opened a window and growled out "quiet out there" and everything got quiet. :thumbsup:

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #2  
I am surprised they listened, I figured they were like children in that respect. ;)

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #3  
Had this one hanging out in the field last week while I was tedding hay. It was acting like a cat pouncing on mice it found and could care less that I was there. coyote.jpg

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #4  
The ones in Maine and New Hampshire are evolving into wolves. Used to be loners, now they pack up, especially during the winter, to bring down deer. And they're bigger than they used to be. But I'm perfectly content to let them eat all the rats and mice they can catch. Just leave the stock alone. Although they did eat that one Canadian singer a few years ago. Wandering around a pack of wild coyotes by yourself out in the middle of nowhere is just plain dumb!

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #5  
I cut about 20 acres of hay over the past 2 days and last night the coyotes discovered it. The area that I cut is about 1000' from the house. Can't say for sure but I think I heard 4 or 5 and they were making a lot of noise. Sounded like they were calling each other from across the farm....Hey...there's lots of mice over here in this fresh cut hay,,, come on over. It woke us up from a dead sleep..I opened a window and growled out "quiet out there" and everything got quiet. :thumbsup:

LOL. A good "HEY SHUT UP" seems to work pretty good at silencing our local pack...must be 3 syllables is the universal coyote-be-quiet...Come to think of it..."Coyote be quiet" should work by that rationale...;-)

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #6  
The ones near me stay pretty hidden. I hear them in the early hours and about dusk. Personally, I don't like them being around. They thin out the turkey and run the deer off. My main concern, would be my own dogs getting into a tangle with them.

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #7  
The other night I opened my back door and my dog was with a coyote. How do you tell a dog a coyote is not your friend? The coyote took off when I opened the door before I could do anything. I have been told a coyote will play with your dog and lead them into the woods where the pack is so I worry about my dog now.

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #8  
About once a year we get woke up by a pack of them howling inside the shelter belt around the house. It is so loud it's like they are right outside the bedroom window. I get up, grab the 12 gauge riot gun, step out on the front porch and fire 3 quick rounds of bird shot into the air. Then I yell SHUT UP! Works every time.

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #9  
I was just thinking the gun gets them to be quite, I usually don't shoot mine into the air though. I let one run around in the fields behind the farm one season. Didn't seem to be doing any harm. Then I thought about it, old dog, young kids, baby calves. Shot that dirt bag next time I saw it. I try to keep up the ritual now.

/ Coyotes in the night after haying #10  
we shoot everyone we see nothing good will come out of letting them go. they will stalk smaller dogs and catch the right moment to attach. this time of year they have the mainge real bad. it will certainly be to your benefit to shoot everyone you see.