Aeration and Reseeding Hay Field

/ Aeration and Reseeding Hay Field #1  

bobm6996

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 4WD HST Cab, Mahindra 2615 Gear, Scag Tiger Cat 48", Gravely 42" ZTR, EZ GO Gas Golf Cart
Back in the spring of this year we fertilized, tilled up and drill seeded 12 acres (8 ac. grass/alfalfa mix, 4 ac. pasture mix) for hay and pasture. We seeded oats to get a cover going to support getting it all going this year. Just roll baled the oats a couple weeks ago and it looks like we might (weather permitting) get a cutting of hay the end of August. I am noticing there are a few very large areas in the alfalfa part that only grass is coming up, the alfalfa is sparse. I am thinking I would like to (after we cut the hay) aerate those areas and try to reseed before winter to help get a better stand next spring. First, does this make sense? If it does, how can I (without spending a fortune) aerate the field without tearing up what is there? And my plan is use a pto driven 3-pt broadcast spreader to overseed, does this make sense? I do not have an aerator, but would like some ideas on what I might be able to buy or even rent to do the job.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

/ Aeration and Reseeding Hay Field #2  
In general terms, very general, mature alfalfa stands are toxic to new seedling alfalfa. So over seeding or thickening alfalfa stands with alfalfa is not a good idea. However if you have large areas with no stand you may get it to work in isolated spots. Maybe. Just use something to loosen the soil and something to cover the seed. 'round here (northern KY) folks over seed with a good quality Orchardgrass when a alfalfa stand is fading because of age or a new seeding with poor germination.

/ Aeration and Reseeding Hay Field #4  
One of my hay farmers sold his Pasture King because the soil around us has lots of rocks that seem to get pulled up. The idea looks great if your soil is less rocky. There is a vibrating aerator that I want to get but I need to save some money after getting some bills paid. AerWay :: Advanced Aeration Systems - Norwich, ON Canada

/ Aeration and Reseeding Hay Field #5  
Maybe a 3 pt. slit seeder..?? I bought an old Olathe, now Toro to seed my Timothy this spring, and it did a great job. Might check with some local eq. rental places. We have a local New Holland dealer that rents, I believe 4' Landpride slit seeders for like $175.00 per day.

/ Aeration and Reseeding Hay Field #6  
Auto toxic whatever it's called usually doesn't happen in alfalfa until the second year..... Overseeding with new seed should be fine.... You might spray the grass with glyphosate to kill it.... check with your local seed/Ag dealer for proper treatment etc.......