If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower #21  
That's a nice looking hay field.. right now I use a 9 ft disc cutter.. but it's getting old and starting to need a lot of work.. been looking at the drum cutters.. they have 3575 in Caldwell texas.. 35 pto and 75 inches.. with lift kit,, it sell for about 4400.. thinking I make run up there this week end.. check on them.. Thanks for the infor.. Lou

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower #22  
Look up SFI they post their prices. bjr

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower
What do those drum mowers cost?

Jim, evening..... You might give CCM machinery a call... this spring, the 135 was $2800 or so, plus freight and extra for extra blades and belts, when I ordered mine and had it shipped to Wa. State... I looked at all the other drum mowers and decided on the CCM.... They are all about the same I guess.... Dave

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower #24  
I have a drum mower from SFI and it works great. Was using a sickle mower, total PITA with fire ant hills etc and plugging. Got it last year in Caldwell Tx.

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower #25  
I went and looked at a Zetor yesterday. Near as I could tell, it looked an aweful lot like the CCM. Only difference being $1500. Are these all the same mowers painted and stickered to look different?

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower #26  
I believe the SFI Small Farm Innovations mower is made in Turkey. There is a ton of farm equipment manufactured in Turkey. One of the originals was manufactured under the initial name PZ, a Dutch company, I think Kuhn has picked that up now under their name. There are quite a few clones out there now.

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower #27  
I may be wrong, but I thought I saw that the ccm is also Turkish made. I'm betting several of these are made in the same factory and branded accordingly.

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower #28  
:confused: Is a drum mower suspended from the tractor when mowing or does it skid or roll to set cut level/follow the ground?
,,,Thanks,
larry

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower #29  
The drum mower follows the contour of the ground on disks that free wheel underneath the blades. It ends up cutt7ing 2-3 inches above the ground. It leaves a nice clean cut. If you hit something a spring loaded release lets the mower swing back.You then back up and the pin resets and you're on the way again. The critical part is making sure you have it all leveled right before you begin cutting. There are several of the different branded drum mowers that are exactly the same and all made in Turkey. You can also find drum mowers on Alibaba.com.

/ If you have small acreage and thinking of cutting hay... Drum Mower
My drum mower has "freely rotating saucers" suspending the cutter.... they slide on the freshly cut hay stubble... My CCM drum cuts at 1" or so, plus or minus depending on how the top link is adjusted... It just slides almost effortlessly on the stubble.... That's pretty cool for the small tractor.... Not trying to hold up that weight.... Very little friction, that I've noticed, when cutting... It follows the ground very well, the way the suspension system is engineered... forward and back tip is lock in position using the top link adjustment... right and left tip is "free" so to speak to follow the contour.... Dave