HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS?

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #1  

bsrfarms97

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3150
Not sure what forum to post this under but I figured asking professional opinions would get some answers. Besides it not really a lawn and garden type post. What I have is blackbirds invading my corn fields everyday. I put out several acres of corn for chopping silage and some for picking to grind. What is the most sure way to get rid of these pesky birds. I'm usually have several 100 to 1000 at a time in my corn fields. I've been shooting with my trusty 12 guage and they seem to keep comming back no matter how many I kill. Somedays it sounds like WWIII behind my barn. There has to be a better way. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #2  
There are some people here that use radios. There is a vineyard here that uses a pretty loud stereo setup in their fields tuned to classical and they say it keeps the birds away.

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #3  
We've got the same problem here. Not sure why they are so bad this year. They are even eating our sweet corn, just before it's ready to pick.

I was doing some hand weeding around the edge of a 15 acre corn field Friday and would guess there were 200 blackbirds in it. They peck open the ear at the silk end and eat away 2 or 3 inches of the end kernels, sometimes halfway around the ear. Not as devastating as Deer but still a problem.

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #4  
It's a losing battle--those birds are smart and don't scare easily or for long.

Count yourself lucky that they didn't invade your fields immediately after planting. Two years ago I tried to plant beans and peas in my 6-acre field. The blackbirds and pigeons sit on the power lines and watch as I planted and then had a feast. They must be thinking "Thanks, we appreciate it, dumbass"

If they take their share of your nearly fully grown corn, it's no big deal especially if it's silage. Just the cost of being a farmer.

And if you want some for table corn, just cut off the damaged end of the ear and boil or grill the remainder. Still tastes mighty good.

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #6  
Just part of farming. Different countries different birds. Parrots in Australia, finches here. In the UK they say One for the rook, one for the crow, one to rot and one to grow. Then the birds eat the one that grew.

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #7  
While I don't like them in masses to hang around, they are sometimes your friend whey they eat the worms or grasshoppers. I've not heard of common blackbirds (grackles) eating corn, but crows for sure.

I know when they come here maybe once a year, they roam my hayfields looking for insects.

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #8  
Get a propane cannon

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #9  
Easiest way:

Design some way for the highest ranking Blackbird proponent 3 star General to die ejecting from a top secret HAVE DOUGHNUT/HAVE IDEA soviet fighter. This worked very well back in the mid to late '80's to terminate all future Blackbird operations. :(

Good luck!

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS?
Has anyone on here ever used the propane cannons to see how effective they are? I've checked the price of several of them and some are reasonable if they really work. Corn cost here is close to 400 per acre by the time you fertilize, buy seed, and diesel. And a big flock of those pest can ruin a cpl acres of picking corn pretty quickly. That is a huge hit especially in years when they are worse than normal. I've probably already spent $200 in shotgun shells alone this year and killed countless of them pest and you would never know I've killed a 1 when they start hitting my corn fields early of a morning.