Bronze Member
Tractor
TS6.110 4WD Cab, WM75 FEL ROPS
Mowing Hay Today, NH489 froze up
Rollers still turn
PTO Shaft Still Turns
Blades/Knife/Cutter Bar NOT moving
Smoke was coming from gear box

I checked knives and rollers for obstruction, nothing - tried turning by hand and it feels like it is locked up, any ideas why??

/ NH489 Locked Up #2  
Mowing Hay Today, NH489 froze up
Rollers still turn
PTO Shaft Still Turns
Blades/Knife/Cutter Bar NOT moving
Smoke was coming from gear box

I checked knives and rollers for obstruction, nothing - tried turning by hand and it feels like it is locked up, any ideas why??

That should tell you enough... don't it. Sounds like bearings/gears seized and broke the shear pin, or a shaft inside the gearbox,...lack of oil maybe?

/ NH489 Locked Up #3  
Unbolt the knife head bolt and try to move it in or out. Usually there is a jam that you can't see but can feel although typically causes the slip clutch to smoke and the reel and rollers stop too.

/ NH489 Locked Up
Never replied, it was bent knife seizing up - 8/17/15 - no floater spacer missing on one side, just not sure if bolt is required, can find spacer, but looks like zero room for bolt/nut?

/ NH489 Locked Up
CDennyRun, see attached, bolt I just placed in there to see if spacer will work helps somewhat, but still seems to be off 2-3 inches in height [too low] compared to left-hand side that has float bolt/spacer in tact - may have to tighten spring? I just don't see space for Bolt/Not, just the Spacer - there is no thru hole on the cutting side of the float, spacer can only be slid in from the right side it seems - there is a hole further back, but there doesn't seem to be enough movement/travel to reach back that far - hope this makes sense - see attached

Attachments

• Float Bolt Spacer Location Right Side.jpg
    Float Bolt Spacer Location Right Side.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 113
   / NH489 Locked Up
CDennyRun, Messick's to the rescue as always - there is a bolt/nut/spacer that will allow float to be repaired, not just the spacer - spoke with Les in Service @ Messick's, explained how to get at it and how to adjust spring, parts arrive tomorrow a.m. UPS RED, hopefully will be cutting hay by 2pm if all goes well!

/ NH489 Locked Up #8  
Oh great! I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Sounds like you have some good people there at Messick's!

Regards,

Chris