Just purchased a John Deere 14 T baler. Need some input!

/ Just purchased a John Deere 14 T baler. Need some input! #1  

macecase

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 John Deere 3020 Diesel and 1975 John Deere 4630 Diesel
Just purchased a John Deere 14T baler! It appears to be in pretty good shape and I picked it up for $750.

Does anybody have a manual that they can share?

Any helpful hints on this baler? Also, in decent shape, do you think $750 is a good price, too much, or a steal?

/ Just purchased a John Deere 14 T baler. Need some input! #2  
Before attempting to bale hay be sure the plunger head stop mechanism isn't frozen and has a good spring on it. $750 is a good price if it will bale hay

/ Just purchased a John Deere 14 T baler. Need some input! #3  
There are a couple of manuals on ebay right now. just type in JD 14T baler.
Best baler parts on there also has a timing DVD for the 14T and on his website
also has an Inspection video for the 14T.

Hope this helps you. They are good balers for their age...:thumbsup:

Good luck
Tom:D

/ Just purchased a John Deere 14 T baler. Need some input! #4  
Don't try to run your newly acquired baler with the tractor pto until you have thoroughly checked it out. Start by cleaning out the bale chamber. Then check the slip clutch on the baler pto shaft and be sure it's in good working order. Next cycle the baler by hand-turning the flywheel and carefully observe the operation of the plunger, the pickup and the packer.

Carefully check the knotters as you turn the flywheel. Go to YouTube and search "14T baler knotters" to find several videos that show you what to do. Sometimes these videos are better than reading the manual to get acquainted with this most complex part of the baler.

Good luck.

/ Just purchased a John Deere 14 T baler. Need some input! #5  
I had one I used for a season (then traded up to a 24t in a little better condition). It worked very well but I learned my lesson to make sure the plunger stop is working reliably. The clutch in the knotter drive was apparently worn and sometimes slipped causing the needles to occasionally fail to fully retract to home. This resulted a few times in a stopped plunger and broken shear pin, as designed. Unfortunately the spring that lifts the plunger stop broke while baling and the next time the clutch slipped the needles were in the wrong place at the wrong time and one got folded... I emailed you about a 14T manual. Take your time and follow all the steps and checks in the manual. Turn it over by hand while watching and thinking until you understand all the operations. It helps to have someone pull tension on the bale twines when you're cycling the knotters - if you don't have enough tension on the tied loop (that'd normally be around a bale) the knotters won't cut the twine off and you may think you have a problem and start making adjustments... Good luck!