Haying with compact tractor

/ Haying with compact tractor #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
I have a Bobcat CT 235 hydrostatic tractor. Its 34HP with 27PTO. Weight is about 3600 lbs with the loaded tires and loader attached. Towing capacity per Bobcat is 3300 lbs. I would like to get equipment to do small haying project in my subdivision which consists of 40 - 3 acre lots. Tractor does have an overriding clutch on PTO

So far I have gotten a sweet IH 1300 sickle mower (9 foot model), and I am looking at small side delivery or 3pt rotary rakes like the JD 350 or Kuhn GN300.

Now the tough question? Can you folks recommend a baler I can run. In my reasurch I have been looking for a JD 24T or NH 268 or NH 273 and I have heard the following inline ones will work too Hesston 4550, CIH 8520, MF 1835 and Challenger SB34.

Any other suggestions? This will not be a high production operation due to the small fields.

Thanks - Keith

/ Haying with compact tractor #2  
I ran a JD 14T with a 22 hp Yanmar (without live power even) and run the same baler with a 35 hp JD, no problems. Also run a NH 1012 stack wagon with it just fine. I believe all the 1960s vintage balers will do just fine. Now the question would be what dealer(s) are near you for parts.

/ Haying with compact tractor #3  
My Massey Ferguson 124 baler (small squares, two-twine) would work with your tractor. The recommended pto hp is 34, but these balers have been run with much smaller tractors like a Farmall Super A that has about 17 hp (pto). These balers weigh in at 3000 lb so you'll be OK on level ground which is what I suppose you have in your subdivision. My 124 has both a slip clutch and an overrunning clutch (sprag clutch) on the baler itself. You can still get parts from Agco which owns the MF brand. The knotters on the 124 are called SureTie knotters and are somewhat simpler in design than the JD and NH knotters.

Haying 120 acres is quite a chore. If it were my job, I'd look for a drum mower which can cut much faster than a sicklebar, does not clog like a sicklebar, and is a lot simpler to setup and service. You can get a brand new 5-ft drum mower for $3K or so. When you're finished you can sell it and get your money back.

Good luck

/ Haying with compact tractor #4  
I have a Bobcat CT 235 hydrostatic tractor. Its 34HP with 27PTO. Weight is about 3600 lbs with the loaded tires and loader attached. Towing capacity per Bobcat is 3300 lbs. I would like to get equipment to do small haying project in my subdivision which consists of 40 - 3 acre lots. Tractor does have an overriding clutch on PTO So far I have gotten a sweet IH 1300 sickle mower (9 foot model), and I am looking at small side delivery or 3pt rotary rakes like the JD 350 or Kuhn GN300. Now the tough question? Can you folks recommend a baler I can run. In my reasurch I have been looking for a JD 24T or NH 268 or NH 273 and I have heard the following inline ones will work too Hesston 4550, CIH 8520, MF 1835 and Challenger SB34. Any other suggestions? This will not be a high production operation due to the small fields. Thanks - Keith

I have a Mahindra 3215 and I was able to run an IH 37 square baler. I used a MF sickle mower and an old International-McCormick side delivery rake.

/ Haying with compact tractor
Thanks folks I have an IH 1300 9ft sickle mower and I am looking at rakes. I hope to find a good rotary, but a side deliver rake like a JD350 would be good too. Don't want anything too wide or heavy.

/ Haying with compact tractor #6  
I would think that a inline baler would be problematic with a small tractor. Not enough clearance to run over the windrow IMHO.
I would look at maybe a new holland 256 hay rake or something similar that would be pull type.
My experience with 3 pt rakes has never really been a good one. Not saying they don't work I just much prefer a drawn rake and would not be nearly as hard on your compact tractor. A simple wheel rake would do the job and are a very cheap alternative.

/ Haying with compact tractor #7  
Use to square bale with a 1070. Had plenty of power but heavier square baler pushed it around a little bit. Eventually upgraded.

/ Haying with compact tractor #8  
The jd 24t or 24wt are good old balers. The wt accepts both wire and twine. Also look at a nh256 rake. IMHO it is the best side delivery rake for that age and size.

/ Haying with compact tractor #9  
The jd 24t or 24wt are good old balers. The wt accepts both wire and twine. Also look at a nh256 rake. IMHO it is the best side delivery rake for that age and size.

Yep I def agree we used a 24 jd baler for years. Actully just got her outta the barn this past summer an started going through her. Plan on square bleing some perreinal peanut hay. I can't remember it ever breaking down in the field all the years we used it. Wish our other stuff was as good.

/ Haying with compact tractor #10  
Forget the modern inlines - You do not have enough tractor for those in hp, PTO driveline strength, or even ground clearance for that matter.

Baling with a compact can be done but the key is picking the right size baler. (similar to towing a trailer with a 1/2 ton V6 pick-up. Yes a v6 will tow fine -just not the same trailer that a 1 ton diesel pick-up will tow. Lots of hills better go even smaller.).

Lots of threads (hours worth of reading) in the archives on various sites with creative searches. Need to search along the lines of baling with a Ford 8n, Ford NAA jubilee, Farmall A or B, John Deere B, Farmall h, Allis WD, etc in order to expand your thread options. You will read both horror stories and success stories. Again the key is to pick the right size baler.

Generally speaking any baler that is going to work well with your itty bitty tractor is going to be at least 45 years old - so hope your mechanically inclined.

a) My thoughts I would look for a New Holland 65 (smallest baler ever offered by the mainstream manufactures and is what I use).
b) Ford 520 also small (parts nearly impossible to find though).
c) New Holland any size between 66-273 but skip the alabatross 77 and 78 balers.
d) JD 14T (some parts getting harder to come by and pick up not the best).
e) JD 24T

Reason, I would recommend the NH 65 over the others is your lack of PTO driveline strength. Modern compact ractors do not have the metal in tranny driveline like those oldies did to handle the baler rocking. In general, the smaller the baler capacity, the less the baler's flywheel gyro effect will be.