JD 14T Baling millet?

/ JD 14T Baling millet? #1  

Hiptfarms

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 with BH FEL, Kubota L4400 HST with FEL, Polaris Ranger, BCS 720
I am trying to figure out what I should plant in the next month or so. I have a couple horses, a cow, couple llamas, and some potbellied pigs. I'm hoping to plant an acre or two of something that I can bale with the 14t baler I got last year. Just picked up a NH461 sickle mower and I did get a Ford side delivery rake as well. So I think I have the equipment covered. I was considering pearl millet cut at about 30" or so. I'm concerned that the drying may be an issue. I live in the central part of SC so heat isn't an issue but im not sure if the humidity may not pose a problem. Anybody have any suggestions?

/ JD 14T Baling millet? #2  
The 'wet' material may make the needles stick in the bale being formed. If that happens, it will shear the pin in the needle lift. (and then the needles will get smashed. If you relax the bale tension springs, to put out a lighter bale, the needles won't sick, and will probably will work fine.

/ JD 14T Baling millet? #3  
The 'wet' material may make the needles stick in the bale being formed. If that happens, it will shear the pin in the needle lift. (and then the needles will get smashed. If you relax the bale tension springs, to put out a lighter bale, the needles won't sick, and will probably will work fine.

It will take 5-7 good drying days for crimped Millet to cure after being cut. If the baler is timed correctly and plunger head stop is operational the needles will be fine. BTW since needles travel up through slots in the PH it's unlikely for needles to stick up through the hay if needles are timed correctly to PH.

/ JD 14T Baling millet?
So crimping is probably necessary to get a good, dry bale?

/ JD 14T Baling millet? #5  
So crimping is probably necessary to get a good, dry bale?

Yes if you didn't crimp it I'll venture to say it would never get dry enough not to mold unless you put it up as Hayledge.

/ JD 14T Baling millet?
Thanks for the advice. No crimper so i Guess I'll be planting something else.

/ JD 14T Baling millet? #7  
You might could find a cheap used Haybine or Mo-Co.

/ JD 14T Baling millet? #8  
I had trouble getting my non crimped alfalfa to dry.... Then I bought a drum mower that cuts a 4 foot swath... thin swaths dry faster than thick... my dry time now is 4 days or less.... I do wish I had a crimper....

DSCF1099.jpg