First Time Haying

/ First Time Haying #1  

Draagyn

Silver Member
Tractor
65 JD 3020, 75 IH 966
Hey guys, I searched around this spring for someone to cut my hay but no one wants to as field is in poor shape. So, I'm gearing up to do it myself. So far I bought a square baler, but I have many question about it and the process of haying. Hopefully when my baler manual shows up I'll have less questions. But here's a few for starters, I'm sure there will be more to follow.

What are the pieces of the knotter with the brass balls called? And has anyone resurfaced the brass rather than replacing it?

I hear sisal twine is the best to use with old balers like mine (1960's) how do you say sisal and how is it different than the rest? Is it the most common, what I'm used to on the bales I buy?

Lastly I'm interested in fertilizing before it's too late. I'm doing 20acres, how much would I need? What's an all round fertilizer I could use? And when is too late and too early to fertilize? Keep in mind, things are just getting green up here.

Thanks!

/ First Time Haying
I see pickup tines in almost every ag store. Is this a good place to buy them for my NH baler or should I go through dealer?

/ First Time Haying #3  
I see pickup tines in almost every ag store. Is this a good place to buy them for my NH baler or should I go through dealer?
It hardly matters where you get them from. If they fit, and you like the price, get them. I tend to try my loal Fleet Supply store first, as their prices are usually better. If they don't have what I need, then I go to the dealer.

Joe

/ First Time Haying #4  
Pick up the tines were ever you can find them cheapest. Sisal twine is just standard twine. Make sure to get 9000 feet rolls instead of 16000 ( these are for round bales, and make it really ruff on the hands). Best advice is to talk to a old farmer near by if you get a chance. They'll know more than you need.

/ First Time Haying
Awesome! Thanks guys I never would've known about the length of twine. I try to pick the local farmers brains, but they're hard to get ahold of. They never seem to be at home sitting on the couch...

/ First Time Haying #6  
What make and model of baler did you get? bjr

/ First Time Haying
I picked up a New Holland super 67 on the cheap and it came with a perfect bale in the chute. Still in overhaul process.

Can anybody guess how much it would cost to fertilize 20 acres?

/ First Time Haying #8  
Lastly I'm interested in fertilizing before it's too late. I'm doing 20acres, how much would I need? What's an all round fertilizer I could use? And when is too late and too early to fertilize? Keep in mind, things are just getting green up here.

Can anybody guess how much it would cost to fertilize 20 acres?

You need a soil test in order to determine your lime and fertilizer needs. Most land-grant universities in the States offer soil-testing services through the Cooperative Extension Service. I don't know the situation In Canada. Check with local farmers to detrmine how they obtain their soil tests.

Steve

/ First Time Haying #9  
be sure to pick up a bunch of shear bolts ... ( needed by that big flywheel )

engage the PTO slooooooowly or you will be changing a lot of them ...

yes replace the brass balls ( as you call them )

never stop the machine without clearing the last bale ...

/ First Time Haying #10  
What about the field makes it unattractive to others? Lack of quality forage or ...?