Covering hay

/ Covering hay #21  
-great link on hay G4575 Making and Storing Quality Hay | University of Missouri Extension

I have learned some new stuff from this discussion and looking on the net. I didn't know you could use a meter for moisture content.

--What I'm seeing around here is white plastic wrapped round bales in the field. I looked those up and they are balage, like what used to be grass silage I think blown into a silo.
Also there are some farms just south of here making long tubes of this balage that they feed all winter long using a small skidsteer to grab it and feed it to the dairy cattle - holsteins.
Open silos packed with chopped corn are common around here (packed with the tractor) and covered over with a tarp and tires for the winter.

Last edited:
   / Covering hay #22  
Some rd hay baler's have moisture testers installed in the side walls to give % moisture reading while hay is entering bale chamber.

/ Covering hay #23  
Tx Jim,
Using the moisture meter of yours, how/when do you check? Before baling? After baling a couple?

/ Covering hay #24  
I can check in windrow or in the bale. I usually just check the 1st couple of bales and then if weather conditions change I'll check again. Checking in windrow requires changing to a different attachment that the% moisture reading depends a lot on the amount of hand pressure applied to device. Even after all my years of custom baling I wouldn't bale hay without utilizing a moisture tester.