just purchased a New Holland 408 discbine.

/ just purchased a New Holland 408 discbine. #1  

bsrfarms97

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3150
Hey ive been studying discbines for several years on whether to buy new or which type to buy. I ran across a New Holland 408 today below $4000 and always garage kept. It came from a local farmer that ive known for many years. He owned since it was new. It has new rollers top and bottom. professionally rebuilt cutterbar and all new bareings. any thoughts on this particular machine and what to keep an eye on? Also which one of the Kuhn and JD models have this same cutterbar?
Ive been mowing a couple hundred acres now for several years useing only a superior 394 sicklebar mower. So im interested on seeing how this 408 discbine will work out for me.

/ just purchased a New Holland 408 discbine. #2  
As long as you want to trust the quality of the work, go for it. I'd have it run AT SPEED for no less than 15 minutes then do a thoruogh inspection of all bearing and "hat" temps before writing a check. Cutterbar work on these machines is worrysome in that it might have been done right, or not.

/ just purchased a New Holland 408 discbine.
it was rebuilt last year by the dealership and has mowed a couple hundred acres since the work was done with no problems. my neighbor only sold it cause he bought a new jd 630 and no longer needed the 408.

/ just purchased a New Holland 408 discbine. #4  
it was rebuilt last year by the dealership and has mowed a couple hundred acres since the work was done with no problems. my neighbor only sold it cause he bought a new jd 630 and no longer needed the 408.

I would feel a lot better about that than buying one that had been torn limb to gut last week, if you get my drift.

yeah definitely. I would be very hesitant buying one that hadnt been tried and tested. does anyone know any helpful info on mowing with one of these? Ive mowed hay all my life since I was old enough to drive a tractor. But this is my first season of using a discbine. so any helpful hints would be great appreciated.

/ just purchased a New Holland 408 discbine. #6  
If the cut quality doesn't please you in short, light crop, drop the PTO speed and grab another gear. Airflow under the hood of a roll conditioner machine is from back to front. Less RPM, less air is blown out the front. Flail conditioner machines flow air the opposite direction. Don't be afraid to buy an operator's manual. Lots of guys think it's illegal to go out and buy a new OP manual for a used machine.

Just because it's possible to cut at 10 MPH doesn't mean it's always a good idea. Set the header float so it floats well at whatever speed you settle on. Faster speeds require less header weight for bar health, but the tendency is to run heavier to keep the bar on the ground while running fast.

/ just purchased a New Holland 408 discbine. #7  
Well I can tell he has about $4000 just in the new rollers alone. If the cutterbar was also rebuilt he's probably selling it at a loss. If everything looks on the up and up and you trust the guy you've found a bargain. On TractorHouse the 408 ranges from about $4500 - over $9000. Even if the rollers are new check over them completely. My wife and son bought a used Kuhn last year and rollers started coming apart, dry rot, after about 80 acres. They traded it on a New Holland H7220. I'm not familar with a 408 but according to Google it's an early '90's machine. We looked at the JD 630 and frankly he might wish he had kept his 408. He probably with the 630 in the JD line because it's the smallest machine they make with rollers. With an 8' cut you should be able to pretty easily pull it with 50-60 PTO hp. They're pulling the H7220, 9' cut, here with a JD 5065M at about 5mph in heavy crop, Oats, and it's doing fine.

Mowed 20+ acres this past weekend, and it preformed flawlessly. I couldnt have been happier. Felt of the disc when finished and all were cool. Not even luke warm. The only thing it needs is a new set of blades which shouldn't be too difficult.

ForumRunner_20140527_002446.png

/ just purchased a New Holland 408 discbine. #10  
Looks like it's working just fine.