M&W 5506 hay roller

/ M&W 5506 hay roller #1  

kydick

Silver Member
Tractor
ford new holland
purchased a new M&W haybaler new in 2003. always made good firm bales. around 1000 pounds. last year seems like when it starts to get full the bale starts to slip inside the chamber like a chain is jumping. when it starts doing this i go ahead and get it tied. dont believe that it is a 1000 pound bale. have tighten the slip clutch a time or two. only thing i think it can be is there are a lot of bars about 3/8 x 5/8 x4.5 feet long welded to the drum that turns the bale. the corner of the bar that gets to the bale first is getting rounded off and the back side is still square. thinking it might be losing traction. wonder if i welded thicker bars i would get traction back? any ideas or if you have had this problem please comment thanks

/ M&W 5506 hay roller #2  
I don't know squat about a M&W baler but I've welded on the steel starter roll on many JD rd balers to improve bale starting plus it slows down hay from building up between upper frt belts.

/ M&W 5506 hay roller
the square bars that are getting rounded over is the only thing that i can think of that makes it slip. M&W balers make the bale in a enclosed chamber. it has a chain and bars that rotate inside the chamber. much like the older new hollands had that made the bale. just inside the baler. it makes what they call a soft center core. it rolls the hay and it falls down several times. when it gets about full the hay starts to make a roll. when it is full a light comes on and i push a button and it ties. lots of time you can see a star in the center. cows can reach in the middle and start eating. i know that other balers make the bale so firm they have to start outside and eat to the middle. M&W balers never caught on in this part of the country. i am sure they did someplace else. they are a good baler. simple in design. few moving parts. a 45 hp tractor is all you need to make a 5x5 1000 pound bale. when you welded the roller did you use other bars or just build up the bars that are already there? thanks

/ M&W 5506 hay roller
think i have found my problem. welded the bars on top of the old ones. left the guard off and rolled some hay and the hay roll still slipped. noticed the first chain drive gear cog would stop turning and just jerk. idle the tractor down and start turning again. removed the gear box and shaft guard cover to check the dog clutch. it had the right gap. cleaned the clutch good and found the shoulders were rounding off. they would not stay locked in when much pressure was put against them. put a new dog clutch assembly and i think my problem is solved.