disc mower hang ups

/ disc mower hang ups #1  

kydick

Silver Member
Tractor
ford new holland
have a 8ft massey fergeson disc mower. seems like it is hanging up way too much on the end. it used to not do this. i could mow through hay that was already cut and not hang up. heavier thicker hay seems to be the worst mowing. morning dew is bad too. i have put on new blades took grinder and smoothed any nicks or gouges where the hay might catch. angled blade up and down. pushed it to both sides. the hay fields look to be cut even. just have to raise blade to clear the grass. only thing else i can think of the diverter is getting worn out. its not bent or ripped up. been thinking about welding some small wings onto the old ones that are on the diverter. any more guesses of what the problem might be? thanks

/ disc mower hang ups #2  
Just a couple of thoughts, but have you checked the level and the flotation settings?

Without actually seeing it, it's hard to guess.

Has anything changed with the knives or turtles that would create more room between the knives and the end of the machine?
What condition are the skid plates and other wear items under the machine in?

What do you mean you "pushed it to both sides"?

/ disc mower hang ups
cant see anything that seems to be bent or croocked. still has good skid shoes. my tractor has stablelizer bars that have holes in them. just put the pins in them to hold in that position. tried mower all the way to the right the left and straight behind. the old sickle bar mowing machines had to have a little lead at the end of the bar to cut at its best. dont think there is a adjustment for this on a disc mower.

/ disc mower hang ups #4  
The end drum should have something on it to help cut anything that try's to wrap around it. Usually some angle iron. Also hay that has sat down will ball up worst for us. Or wind blown hay also if cutting one way. Is one side of field worst about it than the other. Just a couple of my thoughts.

/ disc mower hang ups
cutting into hay that is laying down in the same direction you are going cuts better than cutting into hay that is opposite the way you are going. used to make no difference standing up or laying down in all directions. the end has 4 little triangles welded onto the diverter that helps throw the hay backwards.

/ disc mower hang ups #6  
Our New Holland balled up more this year than normal also. May just be the year around here. I would just give a quick lift and never stop to clear it. And we baled last fall instead of mowing. But we did pull a spike tooth this winter to reseed. Might be part of our problem. Don't known little things like that can cause extra thatch down where the cutter is running.

/ disc mower hang ups #7  
Object moved

click on "view books" kinda middle page to the right beside "GUESTS"

type in model number. select "massey"

to find manual for unit.

if anything it might give you a parts break down, to see if something fell off / went missing some place.

============
this is a wet year at least here it is. thicker growth more growth overall, plus guessing more wetter. not on the plant, but in the plant itself. (no droughts / time spans without rain) would assume plant stalks are taking a beating, but needing a little more umph. to actually shatter / cut / break the stalk.

/ disc mower hang ups #8  
have a 8ft massey fergeson disc mower. seems like it is hanging up way too much on the end. it used to not do this. i could mow through hay that was already cut and not hang up. heavier thicker hay seems to be the worst mowing. morning dew is bad too. i have put on new blades took grinder and smoothed any nicks or gouges where the hay might catch. angled blade up and down. pushed it to both sides. the hay fields look to be cut even. just have to raise blade to clear the grass. only thing else i can think of the diverter is getting worn out. its not bent or ripped up. been thinking about welding some small wings onto the old ones that are on the diverter. any more guesses of what the problem might be? thanks

if you have heavy hay, and have a divider on the end of your disc mower, you need to take it off and never use it again, you will be able to mow through anything thing with out a hang up.

/ disc mower hang ups #9  
if you have heavy hay, and have a divider on the end of your disc mower, you need to take it off and never use it again, you will be able to mow through anything thing with out a hang up.

+1. I presume this is a side mount (3 point disc mower) not a pull type center swing/side swing with no swath board. If it has a swath board, raise it a bit and allow the forage to form a tighter windrow.

/ disc mower hang ups
think i have cured my problem. took the diverter off and cleaned the little wings off. 2 big ones and 2 little ones. noitced at the bottom of the wings that the side that hits the hay was worn away half as much than the side that didnt hit the hay. took some 1/8 steel and made me a pattern that was a little wider of the wings. made me 2 of each 1. didnt know about the balance when i would weld them on and figured if both were the same on each side the balance might stay better. welded them onto the side that hits the hay. cut some hay that was standing up good with no problems. had a acre mess of vines and hay. it cut just like a new one. welding the steel dosnt seem to interfere with the balance.