Milk Weed problems

/ Milk Weed problems #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
Hello all, just looking for info regarding controlling or eradicating Milk Weed, we have multiple problem areas in our fields that need attention. Any suggestions or experience in killing it off.

Other problematic weeds we have are Dock Weed and Queen Ann's Lace.

/ Milk Weed problems #2  
Hey, at least ya got food for the honey bee's right.
Just tryin to be a glass half full kinda guy.:p

/ Milk Weed problems #3  
Mow them (brush hog sickle bar etc) before they go to seed. This works with lots of things like thistles and other unwanted growth. It will take a few years to notice but it does work. We had thistle problems but there are hardly any now. And if I see one I just cut it down.

/ Milk Weed problems #4  
Agree on mowing before making the pod. Have tried MSMA, Glyphosphate, and 2-4-D, all with limited success. I can ****** their growth but they remain. If you stay after it you can notice improvement and if you look around at unattended fields you can see what you get if you don't.

Now here's the bummer. Only one of my neighbors somewhat maintains their place. The rest don't and when their seed pods burst and release the parachutes floating out onto your maintained pasture knowing the results, it really gets under your skin.

Mark

/ Milk Weed problems #5  
Hmmm..... Don't you have any deer in your area? Here the whitetail eat them like I was trying to grow them as a cash crop. Seldom see them develop into much and even less often are they around to go to seed.

/ Milk Weed problems
Hmmm..... Don't you have any deer in your area? Here the whitetail eat them like I was trying to grow them as a cash crop. Seldom see them develop into much and even less often are they around to go to seed.

More deer than I need, way more. They don't bother with the milkweed unfortunately, but they love the Timothy and Orchard crop.

/ Milk Weed problems #7  
Where I live, folks are avidly planting milkweed seeds in an effort to replace mowed over, built over, milkweed populations which are a vital habitat for the monarch butterfly. Because milkweed is an edible plant, I don't see what the harm is in letting small patches grown On our property there are several scattered stands of it. Wherever I mow it, it just goes away like most any plant does. Out in the garden, and in the meadow where we let it grow and it receives adequate water, it is a visual treat to just sit and watch the various flying insects attracted to it.

The only time milkweed ever bothered me was when I didn't understand its reason to exist in the food chain.

Last edited:
   / Milk Weed problems
I agree the insects it attracts are cool. The problem I have with it is hay customers aren't fond of it in the baled hay.

/ Milk Weed problems
Where I live, folks are avidly planting milkweed seeds in an effort to replace milkweed populations which gave habitat to the monarch butterfly. Because milkweed is an edible plant, I don't see what the harm is in letting small patches grown. On our property there are several scattered stands of it. Wherever I mow it, it just goes away like most any plant does. Out in the garden where we let it grow and it receives adequate water, it is a visual treat to just sit and watch the various flying insects attracted to it.

I can always skip haying and harvest milkweed seed pods for export :shocked:

/ Milk Weed problems #10  
Because milkweed is an edible plant, I don't see what the harm is in letting small patches grown On our property there are several scattered stands of it.

It is toxic to goats and not so good for horses either.