Transporting "new to me" hay equipment...

/ Transporting "new to me" hay equipment... #1  

mattv1

Bronze Member
Tractor
CaseIH Farmall 75C
Hello All --

Upgraded from a Kubota 3540 to a Case Farmall 75C just a few weeks ago... looking to upgrade from my small drum mower and side delivery rake...

I found a John Deere 1209 swather and a 10-wheel V-rake that is decently priced but he's about 70 miles away. I have a 25-foot flat car trailer.....

Does anyone have tips/techniques for transporting hay equipment? Tongue off the swather and somehow load it sideways? Not sure how to manage...would prefer to get everything in one trip but certainly able to make two trips if safety requires it.

(also, any comments on the 1209? I was originally looking for a NH 489 or 492....but...this looks to be a good price, etc)

thanks!

/ Transporting "new to me" hay equipment... #2  
Just an idea, find a tow truck with a flat bed and get both hauled in 1 trip?

/ Transporting "new to me" hay equipment...
^ i could just have a family member come along with another truck and trailer....or I think i can get ahold of a 35-foot flat trailer too. that would for sure fit both :)

/ Transporting "new to me" hay equipment... #4  
1209 will not be easy to load. You will need to back it on trailer from the side which will require a ditch and then remove tongue & pto shaft. If it were me I'd just tow 1209 and probably do the same with the rake if it was on a caddy. If rake was 3 pt model it would STAY right where it is sitting. Check wobble box bracket on 1209 to be sure bracket isn't cracked or been re-welded to frame.

/ Transporting "new to me" hay equipment... #5  
I drug a NH 499 center pivot haybine home about 45 miles one time(approx. 13'6" width). I drag it back and forth every spring and fall from the barn to the leased property with no problems.

Hm well that's encouraging. I'd for sure have to avoid the interstate with the 1209 in tow, which would make the trip quite a bit longer.....

/ Transporting "new to me" hay equipment... #7  
Oh yes, avoid the interstate, but its not impossible, I even had to negotiate through a town that has angled street parking and those dam yield to pedestrian signs, that I managed to push but not tip over. Just expect people to be idiots, and make sure you have enough truck to handle the tongue weight comfortably or it will be a long ride. I towed the 499 home with a diesel dually and was glad I did. That machine has ALOT of tongue weight for a pickup, Half-ton tow ratings fall flat on their face with that kind of stuff. Now I drag it around with the international 4700 and its almost silly. The big mirrors and heavy truck make for an easy towing experience. I check the tires and air pressure. I'd just figure on a 45mph max speed and grease the bearings well!

Also, I drug home a New IDea 3622 single axle manure spreader with a truck about 35 miles with no issues. Granted it fit in the lane, but even behind a 3/4 truck, I knew it was back there!

/ Transporting "new to me" hay equipment... #8  
I've pulled over width farm equipment down the interstate highway many times without getting any tickets.

/ Transporting "new to me" hay equipment... #9  
Farmers are generally exempt from everything but make sure you have an SMV emblem. I've never done it but you can get flashing lights from Harbor Freight or elsewhere for $10. Same for rear flagging for over width--I've never done it but would on a long and strange trip.

I haul a 14 ft wide Brillion cultimulcher around 20 miles every now and then. No problems.

hauled the swather home yesterday....was a long ride back and a little stressful but it's here.

Going back in a day or two with a trailer to get the rake.