Okay, I've just about quit selling hay!

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
I swear I want to get a Tee-shirt custom made that says "when selling baled hay, watch out for the FLAKES". Most Hay sellers would appreciate the quote and the real snooty "is it Horse Hay?" types wouldn't get it anyways. I've had more time wasters call and never show up. I've have repeat customers that take nearly every thing I grow so I'm probably not going to advertise anymore. Anyone else want to order a shirt? bjr

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #2  
Id love to order a shirt. I have advertised as mulch hay very plainly because I wouldn't feed it to my animals, even described the conditions it was cut in weeds and all and I still get people that call me asking if i think their animals will eat it? How should i know?!

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #3  
You are dealing with flakes ?

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #4  
Well let's see, people who tell you to reserve 300 bales for them (and never show), people who say they will help load or unload it and are no shows, people who don't have the money ("I left my wallet at home"), people who swear the check will be good someday, people who show up drunk ("got any cold beer?"), people who show up with friends who are just scouting for stuff to steal, people whose truck won't hold 20 bales because of all the tires, toolboxes, old hot water tanks, and a generator (???) in the back, people who's stupid kids get a sliver in their pinky and need emergency room help, people who argue over who got their first, people who show up with a copy of a Craigslist ad and demand a lower price (The ad indicates 3 year old hay). And that was just this year.

Fortunately, I tend to have a lot of fun with them, especially when I do the math for number of bales times price per bale.

Have not had any counterfeit money yet, but there are still a few weeks yet to go this year...

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #5  
I watch next to no tv, so it may well be running on the tube already.....

... I'd say, add a few more posts here, and we'll have a script for a reality show !

Rgds, D.

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #6  
[snip]...and the real snooty "is it Horse Hay?" types wouldn't get it anyways. [snip]

Bjr, sure there are lots of flakes out there, and I've known my share of snooty horse folk. But I'm curious why this particular question is snooty? :confused3: Isn't it another way of asking whether what you're selling at the time is suitable for horses, as distinguished from cattle, etc.?

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #7  
Sounds really frustrating dealing with all the scammers and idiots. Makes me glad to live in a part of the country where a mans word still means something.

I know exactly what you mean about the yuppie horse people. When they call tell them it is organic gluten free hay. They will be all over it.

So what is hay worth in your area? Around here premium alfalfa is usually worth around $200/ton and the grass hay closer to $100/ton. But we have a whole lot more cattle than Washington so I assume pricing is different.

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #8  
Bjr, sure there are lots of flakes out there, and I've known my share of snooty horse folk. But I'm curious why this particular question is snooty? :confused3: Isn't it another way of asking whether what you're selling at the time is suitable for horses, as distinguished from cattle, etc.?

Because all too many horse owners haven't a clue themselves as to what constitutes 'horse hay'. If hay producers only had to keep the horses happy & healthy, being in the horse hay business would be a lot more enjoyable and profitable.

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #9  
How about: "Will you deliver two bales (Small squares)of hay to the next town for the quoted price?" No lady, my time and truck's fuel will be more than the hay is worth. :confused2:

That was this afternoon...

/ Okay, I've just about quit selling hay! #10  
Maybe they only had two rabbits and each one only needed one bale. If you have good horse hay you do not need to advertise. The other horse people will sneak around and find out where the good hay is coming from. We delivered round bales and put them where the guy wanted them before he said he would not have the money until the first of the month. I bet he was surprised to see me come back in a hour with a bobcat to pick them up. What is worst is I would do it again. {the picking it up.}