Help with Contracting

/ Help with Contracting #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
My buddy has 30 acres of pasture (50 ac total) near Cooperstown NY. It's a family vacation house and he hates cutting. His friend has other 20 acre pasture across the street.

If he contracts out is land to be harvested, how much can he expect to make? How many cuts per year?

He is a little skiddish about letting someone on his land while he is not there, but for the right price, maybe

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Help with Contracting #2  
here in texas if we buy standing hay its $5 to $8 a round bale.where you are you could probly get 2 cutting a year.

/ Help with Contracting #3  
2-3 Cuts a year. Depending on how early they get into the fields and how much rain we get across the summer.

/ Help with Contracting
I know there are a ton of factors. But if we assume average conditions. How many round bales per acre? One, ten, etc.

/ Help with Contracting #5  
once again that depends on the size of the bale 4 by 5 4 by 6 5 by 6.

/ Help with Contracting #6  
30 acres is not going to provide substantial income but if you can put a little $ in your pocket and get your pasture mowed at the same time it's a pretty good deal for everyone involved.

/ Help with Contracting #7  
It all depends on the local market for hay and the local labor market. Around here native grass hay is about $100/ton, cutting grass pays better than cutting hay, and you'd be lucky to get someone to cut and bale for the hay.

/ Help with Contracting #8  
It also depends on the weather and how it effects your yield. I live near Cooperstown, NY, and this year we got so little rain in August that my second cutting yield was a fraction of what I expected.