JD 347 baler? Good-bad; none of the above?

/ JD 347 baler? Good-bad; none of the above? #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
I'm looking at a JD 347 baler setup with a Hoelsher (sp) 10-bale accumulator and grabber. The whole package is priced real close to what folk's are asking for JUST a Steffen's accumulator!

I've been looking for a grabber and accumulator for a few years and gettin' a spare baler in the deal would be icing on the cake...

Unless that baler turns out to be a better "boat anchor" than a backup!

So, what's the "skinny" on this model? Particular design flaw or quirks to be aware of?

Appreciate the feedback!

AKfish

/ JD 347 baler? Good-bad; none of the above? #2  
JD hasn't made many changes between a 346,347 or 348. I have owned a 347 for several years and they are good balers. My 347 will make bales as square as a BRICK.. This last season in one baling period mine baled over 1000 bales without missing a tie. BTW mine is a wire tie baler. I've been wanting a twine baler because the boxes of wire are too heavy for an old codger. I wish I could find an accumulator/grapple & JD baler for the price of a accumulator.

/ JD 347 baler? Good-bad; none of the above? #3  
AKfish,
as Jim said, they are really good balers. The 34x is the "high capacity" model. Wider pickup, more pickup teeth, more plunger strokes per minute, etc.
For what a Steffan System accumulator cost? I wish that I could find a deal like that here. I want a Steffan, but I would learn to love the Hoelsher for that price.

You'll have to let us know if you get it.