Small Hay Grapple Installed

/ Small Hay Grapple Installed #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
I finally got the remotes run to the front and got the hay grapple installed. It is the small unit made by Kuhns manufacturing. It is their 4 flat, or 5 on edge model. Here is the contact information.
John Byler
Sales Manager
Kuhns Mfg LLC
john@kuhnsmfg.com
www.kuhnsmfg.com
877-296-5851

The unit is a perfect fit for my tractor and loader capacity. I know already it is going to save me a lot of work and speed up the pick up in the field. If needed I can quickly stack and cover if rain is comming. I think this will also work to load out bales too.
0414151538.jpg0414151518.jpg0414151518a.jpg0414151537.jpg

/ Small Hay Grapple Installed #2  
Neat little attachment but how do you get the bales set side by side so that you can pick them up?

/ Small Hay Grapple Installed #3  
That is a dedicated unit... why not having chosen a grapple with long bottom tines instead?

/ Small Hay Grapple Installed #4  
I can see how it would be helpful in a one man operation. When baling we use one man on the wagon and go slow enough that one person can keep up. If you do not have a second person your set-up would be the way to go.

/ Small Hay Grapple Installed
Neat little attachment but how do you get the bales set side by side so that you can pick them up?

In the field you slide the unit along the ground and gather (swing into the bale along the closed side). This does not hurt the bale. You can also grab one or two and go on to the next, release and then pick up the others.

That is a dedicated unit... why not having chosen a grapple with long bottom tines instead?

Long bottom tines get in the way of stacking. With this unit I can pick up 4 bales as shown (long ways), then pick up the next 4 sideways to get good stacking, especially when loading sideways on a wagon or trailer, or into the barn.

/ Small Hay Grapple Installed #7  

You scoop one at time, first one, second one next to the first one ......

/ Small Hay Grapple Installed #8  

A traditional grapple is not going to pack the bales together and provide for stacking them in nice piles.

I can see how it would be helpful in a one man operation. When baling we use one man on the wagon and go slow enough that one person can keep up. If you do not have a second person your set-up would be the way to go.

In my case it is just me doing everything.

TomSeller - sounds like you have done this before. I just played a bit today, getting the hang of it, and adjusting hooks. Do you have any tips to help when the real time comes?

Thanks