Burning fields

/ Burning fields #1  

KevT

Platinum Member
Gilchrist County side of High Springs, FL
Tractor
Kubota L3901 HST w/ FEL, ST2046
I am sure this has been posted, but not sure how to find it. The hay in this area is mostly Pensacola Bahia, and every spring the farmers set the fields on fire leaving a black field 2 weeks later it is the most lushest green field you have ever seen. What does burning do for it?:confused:

/ Burning fields #2  
Just guessing but probably burning the old dried up grass reduces it to ash that releases the nutrients in it to the soil quicker then waiting for it to rot. might also kill a lot of competing weed seeds.

/ Burning fields #3  
Just guessing but probably burning the old dried up grass reduces it to ash that releases the nutrients in it to the soil quicker then waiting for it to rot. might also kill a lot of competing weed seeds.
That is the plan. The other side of it is that while those nutrients are released for a quicker growth some are consumed so there is a lower overall nutrient level.

/ Burning fields #4  
The black field also warms up, and thus greens up, a little faster than one that's not burned.

/ Burning fields #5  
Releases nutrients into the soil. Controls brush and weeds. Gets rid of old dry clumps of grass and evens out the growth. Kills ticks and other pests. And, fire is always fun :)

/ Burning fields #6  
burning kills off a microbe in the soil that volatilizes urea fertilizer. gives the applicator a few more days for a rain event to occur before the urea floats up into the air

if its a hay field, sometimes spring is too wet to get winter grass cured. around here, spring hay can take a week to dry vs two days in the summer. if there is never a week of dry weather, the dead winter grass needs to go somewhere so it doesn't end up in the summer "good" hay.

/ Burning fields #7  
"And, fire is always fun"

Hmm, glad you live a couple states away, we have enough "fun" fires here, east side of IL.

Walt Conner

/ Burning fields #8  
LOL - Maybe I should have said "controlled" fire :)

/ Burning fields #9  
I always have liked a good burning.

My buddy on his acreage is a bit of a chicken when it comes to having a good burning anywhere on his place...something about buildings and equipment going up in smoke...what a killjoy! :D

Now that you mention it, this is the time of year all the old farts around here decide to burn off last years dead grass in sloughs and ditches. There's always one or two that wait until there's a good stiff breeze first just to make things more exciting for the neighbours. :D