New equipment for this season.

/ New equipment for this season. #11  
I picked up an older JD plow, 3 bottom. busting old pasture and renovating back to hayfield.

google image

Attachments

• John-Deere-Bottom-Plow.jpg
    John-Deere-Bottom-Plow.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 171
   / New equipment for this season. #12  
   / New equipment for this season. #13  
BJR - how did you hook your baler to your truck for towing. Did you use a ball mount receiver hitch without the ball and just drop a bolt through the holes, or does your unit have a ball coupler installed?

PS I am Jealous:D:thumbsup: Very nice set up.

Took the ball off and used that hole. I just used a pin, 3/4", and Hitch clip and drove real slow. I only had to go about 5 miles. Probably would have bee a bit safer had I used a 3/4" bolt and double nuts. I made it home okay though. bjr

/ New equipment for this season. #14  
Bought a new tractor for handling bales a bit easier. Looking at maybe getting a 3pt. Bale Wrapper, either a Diamond or Sipma.

/ New equipment for this season.
What tractor did you buy??

/ New equipment for this season. #16  
What tractor did you buy??

The MX5100HST. Nice tractor so far. Not as quiet as the L3940 but it has a heavier front axle and loader. The 3rd function on the loader is great. She's got to have some more weight on the rear besides just loaded tires though.

Still thinking about a wrapper. The weather in the last few years has just been so whacked out. Every time it's time to mow hay we can't seem to get a window big enough to get it to dry down.

Did manage to get 88 nice round bales of Ryegrass and Oats last week off 16 acres. Got another 25-30 more acres to cut and then get Soybeans and Millet also some Foxtail Millet will get planted and my wife and son are trying something new to us this year, Sudan-Sorghum BMR Hybrid. Many farmers are switching from corn to this for forage. Plant it heavy enough and you get small stalks and they say it makes good hay but you better have a Conditioner and maybe a wrapper on stand-by.

"Brown midrib sorghum-sudangrass fills a key niche for this dairyman".
An Inexpensive Forage Alternative - Southern States Cooperative

27xlcm1.jpg

/ New equipment for this season. #18  
Okay, so far, I'm real happy camper

So Far I've only ran 25 bales thru it as I only have 1-1/4 acres. As Most posters on several boards have said it would produce a brick of bale and it did. I cleaned out the chamber to inspect the knifes and removed some of the side guards on the pick-ups to inspect the chains and tine bar bearings and all looked well. I adjusted the right side chain (looking forward) and oiled all chains I could get to as previous owner had run everything dry, chains that is. greased every thing twice. I'm concerned about getting the knotting going again with a empty chamber and maybe someone with inline small square baler experience could chime in and tell if restarting will be a problem? I really needed dependability a baler I could just hook up a go bale, without spending all afternoon repairing and troubleshooting. I had to have the total package though, the drum mower and the rotary rake as well. I'm a "Time Will Tell" sort of guy, so I'll have report back after getting some hours on the machinery. bjr

/ New equipment for this season. #19  
Well it is hard to call it equipment but thanks to Oddballs I have a new Kubota ballast box for my BX.
Helps a lot and I did not need to make one. No longer using the roto-tiller for ballast.

/ New equipment for this season. #20  
Re: Okay, so far, I'm real happy camper

So Far I've only ran 25 bales thru it as I only have 1-1/4 acres. As Most posters on several boards have said it would produce a brick of bale and it did. I cleaned out the chamber to inspect the knifes and removed some of the side guards on the pick-ups to inspect the chains and tine bar bearings and all looked well. I adjusted the right side chain (looking forward) and oiled all chains I could get to as previous owner had run everything dry, chains that is. greased every thing twice. I'm concerned about getting the knotting going again with a empty chamber and maybe someone with inline small square baler experience could chime in and tell if restarting will be a problem? I really needed dependability a baler I could just hook up a go bale, without spending all afternoon repairing and troubleshooting. I had to have the total package though, the drum mower and the rotary rake as well. I'm a "Time Will Tell" sort of guy, so I'll have report back after getting some hours on the machinery. bjr

Did you remove the twine from the knotter disk when cleaning? If not pull the slack out through the needles so the twin is tight and equal both sides (I pull my slack back into the twine box). If you did, thread through the needles and tie off. Instructions in manual. The first two bales will need to be cut open and distributed through you windrow to rebale, but after that everything should be good. It just takes a couple to get the tension correct. I have my tension set very light for a 55 to 60 lb bale and it works great.