When should I consider hay abandoned?

/ When should I consider hay abandoned? #1  

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
Last summer I had a new guy hay three of my fields. Without going into the reasons, he won't be back this summer. He left about 40 round bales in the field. In January he came and got about five of them (and left big ruts in the process, I wasn't too pleased). The rest are still out there. I haven't heard from him since.

Tomorrow it will be May, the grass is growing and I'd like those bales out of my field. I think they're worthless, they've been in the weather for almost a year and the twine is letting go on some of them. But I don't want him coming back and complaining that I got rid of his hay. Thoughts?

If I do have to get rid of them, what should I do with them? There's only so much I can mulch!

Thanks.

/ When should I consider hay abandoned? #2  
Move them, they are already damaging the sod. As to what to do with them, make them go away for the least cost. Did you have a written agreement for a specified time?

/ When should I consider hay abandoned? #3  
If you're on speaking terms call the guy and ask if he wants them.

/ When should I consider hay abandoned? #4  
You can always burn them.

/ When should I consider hay abandoned? #5  
Did he leave them just setting everywhere in the field? I cannot see why folks do that then bale around them the next time,just lazy to not atleast stack them to the side of field.I would call and tell him to come get them if he Wont's them if pasture isn't to wet but if he says just waiting for it to dry up,then that may be just something that needs to wait and say next time they need to be moved within a few days of baled.

/ When should I consider hay abandoned?
Did he leave them just setting everywhere in the field? I cannot see why folks do that then bale around them the next time,just lazy to not atleast stack them to the side of field at least. I would call and tell him to come get them if he Wont's them if pasture isn't to wet but if he says just waiting for it to dry up,then that may be just something that needs to wait and say next time they need to be moved within a few days of baled.

They haven't moved since they fell out of the baler.

I don't know why he did all that work and never came for them.

I don't particularly feel like calling him, I'm not having him back this year.

/ When should I consider hay abandoned? #7  
Find someone with goats, Goats like old nasty hay, goat farmers may not, so they may have to be free. Or are you seeding another field? It is great to spread out after seeding in new grass

/ When should I consider hay abandoned? #8  
Rather than investing in the equipment and baling my own hay, i also have mine worked by someone else. Fortunately, I really like the guy and he does a great job - while respecting my property. Even so - not a bale leaves the property before I get an accurate count and a check. This, of course, provides additional incentive for them to haul off the hay.

/ When should I consider hay abandoned? #9  
Last year hay is still good hay,we try to keep several rolls left over in case bad year. I still think right thing to do is call him and give him the option to take them off place. Not many like him but believe me I see it every once in a while. I am personally getting my share hay off the place soon as done so it doesn't disappear. Only so many local folks going to bale hay and may not be able get that next guy to do it on sounds like you done shares. I mean if he done good job just have to say hey this year you need move it so I don't have that crap setting in my field.

/ When should I consider hay abandoned? #10  
Good hay in texas maybe, being covered in snow and rained on, that hay is garbage. Toss it off to the side, cut the strings and try to spread that nasty stuff out. If he hasn't been back and your not having him bale again, get that hay off of there before it really kills the grass off, you are still going to find those spots where the hay sat all summer long.