custom hay work

/ custom hay work #1  

wilwol

Tractor
ford 6600
Im looking to start a custom hay business. Looking for some feedback on what to charge for the work. I will be doing square and 4x4 rounds.mowing, raking,tedding. Any feedback would be appreciated

/ custom hay work #2  
What are your operating costs (including your labor rate)? Your ownership costs? What's your return on investment goal? What are others in your area charging?

Many land-grants publish surveys of farm custom rates. I couldn't find any surveys from Cornell, but here are the survey results for Maryland and Pennsylvania: Custom Rates | University of Maryland Extension.

Steve

/ custom hay work #3  
Your going to find out that your particular market may not support these rates. Call around and see what people in your area bale for. To much variation from area to area.

I am doing almost 300 acres per cutting, some fields 2 cuttings ,others might get 3. I am charging $16 a bale to mow, tet, rake , and roll (4x5 rolls). Charging 1.50 for small squares.
I hope to get over 500 acres next year, along with a new rake ,Tedder ,and upgraded baler. Plus somebody to rake for me.

/ custom hay work #4  
around here $16 a bale would barely get the baler to pull in the field.thats not counting cutting and raking.for cutting raking and baling the cost is $25 to $30 a bale depending on the size of the baler.

/ custom hay work #5  
I would love to be able to charge what I've seen some people post price wise , but around here it just doesn't happen. You can make money at it, just not gonna ride new toys doing it.

/ custom hay work #6  
MY price this year to cut and bale small squares is $4.50 a bale. If I take the hay I cut and bale for free and resell at about $8 a bale. This is for horse quality hay.

However I only cut and take for free if the weeds are managed, otherwise its cow hay and not worth my time.

Now my nitch is small lots that others wont do, but as others have said what is your market and do you have customers lined up.

/ custom hay work #7  
MY price this year to cut and bale small squares is $4.50 a bale. If I take the hay I cut and bale for free and resell at about $8 a bale. This is for horse quality hay..

You'ld starve to death looking for one of my neighbors to pay you $4.50 for cutting & square baling as the maximum charge I've seen is about 1/2 of that price.

/ custom hay work #8  
Some of My Friends/neighbors "Say" they would pay to have their goat hay baled. When I went to do it they said "Uh, We'll have to get back to you on that one". They're okay people to visit with, just do THAT, and DON'T try to do business with them. I now, just take care of own little world and no more custom baling OPS for me. bjr

/ custom hay work #9  
Around here it's 6 bucks an acre to mow, 6 bucks an acre to rake, and 12 bucks per bale (5x6 round) 7 bucks (4x4 round).
nobody teds.

/ custom hay work #10  
You'ld starve to death looking for one of my neighbors to pay you $4.50 for cutting & square baling as the maximum charge I've seen is about 1/2 of that price.
Amen to that. The going price for a top quality 50 pound alfalfa/grass small square is 4 bucks.
I've never heard of cutting and baling someone's land and taking all the hay for free either.
The different markets and practices around the country always amazes me.