Twine prices?

/ Twine prices? #1  

merlynr

Silver Member
Tractor
IH Farmall H, IH454,Kubota L3800,Bobcat S185
What's up with the prices of twine this year? Mid to upper $50's for bale of sisal. Is it that pricey in other areas?
That is 6000 for square bales.

/ Twine prices? #2  
I have seen it for $50.51 to $62.95 around here. One of the guys at the local farm supply said it's because of the low demand for it. Most people are using plastic twine now.

/ Twine prices?
That helps explain things a bit,but I don't know if the NH273 that I'm contemplating to purchase will work ok with plastic. I borrowed it last year and it worked ok on sisal twine. May have to ask the guy if it'll handle the plastic stuff.

/ Twine prices? #4  
It seems like every year I hear rumors about a shortage of sisal twine, which drives the price up more and more. I've heard the same old crap for at least the last 10 years. I'm not sure who is responsible for such rumors, maybe Johnny Carson.

/ Twine prices? #5  
I use plastic, 20,000 / 110 and it's about the same price as last year. The green bio-degradable is $33 and the regular orange is $29.

/ Twine prices? #6  
On the Hay forums they're all saying it's due to extreme drought in Brazil or wherever the grow the stuff to make it. The closest dealer told me he's having a hard time even getting Sisal twine.

20,000 Titan Poly Orange for the round baler is $25 a bundle in quantities of 10.

/ Twine prices? #7  
I tried the Titan poly on my Hesston 4550 and it kept breaking. I switch to Bridon 9600 and now have ZERO issues, I find you pay for what you get, and everyone's baler is different on what kind and grade twine it likes. With oil prices down the poly stuff is staying reasonable, at least at my CoOp. I have a couple of spare boxes on the shelf.

Tractor Supply here used to carry Bridon, but now sell some other stuff that looks flimsy for the rating. Not even sure if it is made in the USA

/ Twine prices? #8  
It's absolutely NUTS!
The last pallet of sisal twine (52 bales on a pallet, I think) that I bought was a little over a $1000. That was 4 years ago. Now, it's almost triple that!! Hard to believe that manufacturing cost has gone up that much in four years.

My baler is twine only. And I've refused to use plastic. I just don't want it in my fields. I've seen too many problems resulting from plastic twine left on the ground.

/ Twine prices? #9  
It's absolutely NUTS!
The last pallet of sisal twine (52 bales on a pallet, I think) that I bought was a little over a $1000. That was 4 years ago. Now, it's almost triple that!! Hard to believe that manufacturing cost has gone up that much in four years.

My baler is twine only. And I've refused to use plastic. I just don't want it in my fields. I've seen too many problems resulting from plastic twine left on the ground.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You do have a point there with the little shreds hanging around and ending up in the next bales. Do you know if they make sisal strong enough for my Hesston? I have never tried it.

/ Twine prices? #10  

Regardless of what twine you use it needs to be cut off before you feed it. Even sisal has a preservative in it that can be harmful to livestock.