Kuhn 4100

/ Kuhn 4100 #1  

L121andrew24

Tractor
John Deere 4440
I need to transport this rake from Pa to Ma. It is over 13ft width. I was looking at the arms and I could not figure out how to remove them. Any advice would be apriciated! Thank you.

/ Kuhn 4100 #2  
The tine arms are held on the shafts by paired rollpins. Probably a 12MM with a 7MM driven inside it. I also thought the 4000 series rakes had a few tine arms with quick release pins for easy removal of enough to get to legal widths. You can be sure there is some easy way to get down to 8 feet; Kuhn is made in Europe (France) where travel laws are MUCH more stringent than here. Nobody is going to drag a 13' wide rake down a road in the EU.

/ Kuhn 4100
I see the roll pins, how do I go about taking them out, do I just do a punch and hammer?

/ Kuhn 4100 #4  
Roll pins can be punched out but careful not to "brad" the ends. Ideally, use a specific roll pin punch. It's designed for these tasks. It looks like a regular punch but with a stepped end and a flat shoulder designed to engage the roll pins. They make different sizes and are fairly cheap and can be found at most fastener or decent tool shops. But in a pinch you can use a flat ended shaft of the appropriate size. Use some penetrating lube first.

/ Kuhn 4100 #5  
Roll pins can be punched out but careful not to "brad" the ends. Ideally, use a specific roll pin punch. It's designed for these tasks. It looks like a regular punch but with a stepped end and a flat shoulder designed to engage the roll pins. They make different sizes and are fairly cheap and can be found at most fastener or decent tool shops. But in a pinch you can use a flat ended shaft of the appropriate size. Use some penetrating lube first.

I agree and these are very good roll pin punches with protrusion in the center so punch will be centered in roll pin.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    66.3 KB · Views: 86